Sorry for your loss.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Which new pot?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Lee Pro 4-20
Sorry about the short answer, I've been running hard this past week with little time. My experience is covered well by mikld. Even the same amount of time on my 4-20s.
mikld wrote:I purchased my Lee 4-20 Pro about 30 years ago. I only put clean alloy in it and empty and clean the pot no less than once a year. Empty the pot, wire brush the ID, clean and lap the needle valve and it's good to go for another year. I get no drips/runs and casting is a breeze. I for one don't flux and leave flux residue on top of the alloy, just like a lot of other casters do, and not a reason, in my mind, for using a bottom pour pot... :mrgreen:
I've operated two 4-20s for 30 years now. I did not spend a lot of time with the decision, I knew my choice would be a Lee product as that is the brand I've used over my lifetime. I just studied the paper catalog information and decided to go with the top of their line. I'm a bit of a "power" caster, at the peaking of my activity I was casting and shooting 10 to 12,000 bullets a year. I got worried that sooner or later the earliest pot would give out, so I order spare parts that are readily available, but I've yet to need them.

You will read about the "Lee drip" but if you follow the pot's instructions plus never smelt used wheel weights or plumbing/window lead, you won't experience the problem. I use Permetex where the spout and rod mate plus clean alloys and have not had a problem with the drip.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've never been able to ladle cast so I also have the 4-20. It doesn't seem large to me so I don't think I'd like the smaller 10 pound pot.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Regarding reloading tool purchases; I believe too much emphasis is placed on buying a tool/equipment and never buying again. IIRC I have had close to 20 cars and trucks. Four street motorcycles. I have owned 3 homes (and rented maybe 6 more apts., cottages, RVs). I don't count my firearms, molds, die sets or powders (I had 4 wives prior to my Hunny of 30 years, but that's another story), but when I purchased one it fit my needs/wants at that time. I research something I "need" and make a purchase, then if somewhere down the line I think I'll be better off with something else, I'll buy that one, no remorse. I am not "locked into" any single item, or even thought (I did notice a distinct personality change when I drove my Harley off the freeway at 65 MPH, and woke up 2 weeks later). Rarely is a reloading tool purchase a "mistake" but more often than not, if it no longer suits the user's needs, it's just a learning experience. Be good to yourself. Buy a pot. Learn to cast. If you want a different pot a year from now, sell or give away your old pot, or like me just put it on a shelf somewhere, and with your newly gathered experience, and get another...

(I once sweated bullets trying to decide on a 1911. I read, asked questions, read reviews, visited manufacturer's sites, even got opinions on forums. Couldn't decide. One trip to the gun store in my new home town I saw an RIA 1911 M1 in the case, bought is and a few thousand rounds later it is my favorite semi-auto handgun. Over thinking "stalled" my fun for nearly a year.)
Last edited by mikld on 13 Oct 2019 10:14, edited 2 times in total.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Thanks guys. Everything you state makes sense and are valid points.

I am still stuck on the fence between the 4-20 and the Magnum. That is mostly because I am still uncertain which method I want to use. I am getting comfortable pouring with the lade and for me it has been a very clean process. As I have said with the ladle all the overflow is going directly back into the pot and overflow does happen frequently. Which is one of the concerns I have about the bottom pour and this small mold, overflow.

Also I have no visions of becoming a "power caster" and the 900 bullets I have casted right now will most likely last well into spring. Though I am now also looking at a mold for the 45acp though I have never fired any cast thru either of my guns.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Once it starts .........

I started for a 38/357 and 45 Colts , there are 9mm/38/357 moulds from 90-200 gr and 45s from 141-350 for 4 cartridges each . There are moulds for 19 cal on hand . I have 2 5# and the Magnum . I also have a rework 5# bottom pour to get going when the dust settles a little . I want a 4/20 even if all I use it for is to feed the Magnum . I have several moulds that make as much sprue as bullet . So I often use 2 pots , one to pour and one to feed the pour pot . I also have a single cavity mould that will empty the Magnum in just over 150 pours and a 3 cavity in about 80 . Fortunately I don't shoot a bunch of 12 RB and 535 gr 45-70 . But then I also have a 200 gr 45 SWC 8C that swallows up lead about 4 pours per lb 2 if I don't get the sprues straight back to the pot . :)
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Thanks, at this point it is not so much about capacity as it is about the method. After giving this much thought over the past few weeks I am sure I could stick with what I have and it would serve me well, just not very efficiently. Have also thought that the with small 4# melter I could make that work as well though I would probably tire of refilling it quickly. Though I could use the hot plate to premelt and fill as I go.

I think today I will go to the bench and play around with the pot I have and adjust it to different heights. One to where a bottom pour might be and one to where a ladle pour might be if I were to try sitting.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't cast, so my opinion just may be totally worthless, but ....

I don't think I could ever sit while handling molten metal. Seems like way too many square inches of body exposed to any gravitational spill. No doubt that I could not completely dodge a spill or spatter while standing, but at least the exposed target would be smaller than if sitting. I'd have to play the odds and make my body part targets as small as possible.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

jd, Yes I too voiced my thoughts on sitting in front of a pot of molten metal and it is a concern and goes against everything I have ever learned in safety classes.

I guess my idea of sitting in front of a pot would be on a stool with the tush resting in a semi-standing position and not with my legs tucked under a bench.

Then I also explained my reasons for thinking about doing this.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The guys that do cast semi or full sitting use a leather apron like a black smiths . That way drips or drops don't go in their lap and tend to roll off .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”