Lyman's Brass Baggies

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lyman's Brass Baggies

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had mentioned that I bought Lyman's Brass Baggies in the Tumble Media topic and finally used them yesterday. What a great idea! They worked so well that I bought another box of a dozen.

I needed to load more ammo for my 300 Savage (Sav 99), 35 Remington (Rem 600), and 35-30 (Win M94) so I thought this a good time to try the Baggies. Normally I would not have tumbled the 300 Sav and 35 Rem together as, despite the slightly greater neck diameter of the 35 Rem, they are a PITA to separate.

The lots were 40 to 60 cartridges of each.

This was the eleventh cycle of this particular load of Lyman's Corn Cob Media. I set the timer for a two-hour run and went back to cleaning the purlings in my garage (a two-day event with a lot of 25' ladder time). I could see the bagged brass slowly turning over and the media accelerating through it.

"Bing!" All clean! I did notice a few cases had a piece of the Corn Cob Plus in the flash hole, but a "pop" of the bag in hand cleared it all. It might be that after eleven cycles the media is wearing down in size. None of it stuck or required it to be poked out, that might be because of the flash hole deburring I do on the first cycle.

One benefit is that I could go from Baggie to bag with ever handling the cases. Just dumped them in my storage bags.

I went in and immediately purchased and purchase another pack of a dozen Bagges. In that I shoot 29 different cartridges, the Baggies are going to increase my case prep production. There has always been a hang up at this stage, but now the tumbler can keep up with the rest of the steps. There are times that I need to clean different lots of the same cartridge cases (different guns) and there has been no way to accomplish that feat at the same time. Not so now, all in at once!

As a note, my 35 Rem brass is on its 14th cycle. It is Remington brass that gets annealed on it's third to fifth cycle. Sizing is done with Lee's Collet die; I can't remember the last time I had to use a full-length sizer. This brass has even lived a tough life of being shot at 358 Win pressures from the 600.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lyman's Brass Baggies

Post by larryw »

With all the different brass I run, I'm gonna try 'em. Man, just think of all the old
net produce bags I've thrown away? I could have been rich! Rich I tell 'ya!!!
I know, I know, Shut up & go back to sleep Larry????? +guns
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lyman's Brass Baggies

Post by Dan 444 »

This is a great idea. Time to get some baggies.

Dan

Return to “All Other Tools”