Tumbler media

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Südhesse
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Tumbler media

Post by Südhesse »

Fyodor wrote:a tiny bit of lemi shine
Do you know a substitute for Lemi Shine in Germany ?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Lemi shine = Citric Acid
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

Knock the primer out, walnut shells crushed, dryer sheet, simple.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
Südhesse

Post by Südhesse »

Old Scribe wrote:dryer sheet
Which effect has the dryer sheet ?
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

@ Südhesse:
It's basically ciritc acid. My tumbler came with one can of LemiShine, I've tumbled about 25k rounds, and it's still almost full. You need very little of it, also dishwashing soap, tiny amounts are enough.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Many are fearful of media dust when tumbling so they toss a used dryer sheet in with the media (why used?). The sheet will lessen the amount of/collect dust produced, but there are other methods like paper towels dampened with mineral spirits, mineral spirits in the media, auto wax/polish also cuts down on dust, some won't tumble in the same room as their other equipment, they will move their tumbler out doors.

FWIW; tumbling/cleaning brass is probably the most talked about but least important part of reloading... :roll:
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by orerancher »

mikld wrote:Many are fearful of media dust when tumbling so they toss a used dryer sheet in with the media (why used?). The sheet will lessen the amount of/collect dust produced, but there are other methods like paper towels dampened with mineral spirits, mineral spirits in the media, auto wax/polish also cuts down on dust, some won't tumble in the same room as their other equipment, they will move their tumbler out doors.

FWIW; tumbling/cleaning brass is probably the most talked about but least important part of reloading... :roll:

Dunno about dust..But the used dryer sheets keep my Media alot cleaner...
Tried "new" Dryer sheets...Made a real mess in the Tumbler and all over the Brass..
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by scotland »

Hmmm? I haven't used "used" sheets. I just split up the new ones into strips. Will save the used ones and try them out.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Don't have any used ones, they're bad for towels. Still not cleaning brass twice. Wash once and done.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I stopped using the dryer sheets as well. There is a wingnut in the center of my Frankford Arsenal "vibrator" that attaches the bowl to the base assembly. The sheets would catch on the wings of the bolt and the threaded shaft itself and be completely integrated into the media at the end of the run which meant that it was inside the cases. I just started tossing the media when I thought it was dirty or spent. It is a consumable.

I spent a lot of time researching media when I left steel pins and the Lyman's Corn Cob Plus has made me very happy. Their proprietary additive eliminates any dust and shines the heck out of the cases. You can wipe a case with a paper towel or tissue and you will not see any residue on the case. My pistol cases all go straight to the Load-Master and it is as if they have been lubed for the die operation. The cob is supposedly cut large enough that the flash hole is not a problem and it hasn't been or at least if it has the decapping pin has cleared it. I don't look at them.

I keep a log, yeah I'm anal as can be with my reloading, of the time on the media and the number of cases it has cleaned. My typical run is one hour but I adjust it a bit to suit the load, up or down. I'm at 35 hours on the media and thousands of cases. Media looks and feels like it did when it came out of the box.

When I decided to use it, I bought two of the large 10 lb boxes, seeing how it is lasting, I think I'm good for a couple of decades!
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”