Lee swage punch to remove flash hole burr?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Jaeger
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee swage punch to remove flash hole burr?

Post by Jaeger »

Hi all!

New member, first post after some lurking an reading all the good stuff here.

On some brands of 9 mm cases the flash hole (is that what it is called?) is very small, for example S&B non tox cases. With a sturdy decapping tool such as Lee’s, removing the spent primer is no problem, and it also increases the diameter of the flash hole as it pushes through. However, this results in “burr” around the flash hole on the outside, in the primer pocket. I believe this to be the cause of primers sometimes not sitting flush, all the way in when priming - they are being stopped by the burr. At least that’s my theory.

To the question; will using Lee’s primer pocket swage punch flatten the burr to a point where is will no longer hinder the primer? And hopefully also not block the flash hole?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee swage punch to remove flash hole burr?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I run a RCBS Primer Pocket Uniformer ---> CLICK HERE FOR EXAMPLE on my Frankford Arsenal prep station.

I also have a Lyman 7777784 in the package that is extra to me and unneeded ---> CLICK HERE FOR LINK. I could send it your way. Send me a PM if interested.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Lee Ram Swage is basically the same as that used with the APP press, and its only purpose is the remove the "outer" crimp used on military spec brass. Here is a picture with the four types of crimps you will encounter, the "full" ring crimp being the most common.

As a guy that deburrs every flash hole on every piece of brass I reload, I can say without exception that the flash hole is always punched from the outside in. So, the Lee Ram or APP Swage cannot affect the hole from the outside.

Some effortless tools are made to correct the flash hole, both to uniform it and deburr it. Here is an example.

Just as I uniform every flash hole, I also uniform and bevel every primer pocket I reload. I have found the Lee Swage tool very helpful with this work. By running my brass through the swage, the effort with the uniformers is reduced significantly. This is with non-military crimped brass. This said, the Lee tool does not bevel the outside diameter of the pocket, which makes primer seating effortless, were the traditional cutters do. Here is an image from uniforming and beveling 300, new, 9mm Luger cases. The brand is immaterial, I have done this work with them all, and the results are the same.

Here is an image of what those tools are correcting.

This work cures all the Load-Master's ills.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:This work cures all the Load-Master's ills.
Correction. The above described processes cures all priming ills for all equipment.
Well, at least all I've ever tried, & in the last 56 years, I've tried a mess of 'em!!
Best thing I ever did in hand loading was fully prep all pockets & flash holes, it just adds
A " slickness " to the primer seating operation plus, I like that warm, fuzzy feeling knowing
the ignition platforms (pockets & flash holes) of my loads are the best I can make them.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

larryw wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:This work cures all the Load-Master's ills.
Correction. The above described processes cures all priming ills for all equipment.
Well, at least all I've ever tried, & in the last 56 years, I've tried a mess of 'em!!
Best thing I ever did in hand loading was fully prep all pockets & flash holes, it just adds
A " slickness " to the primer seating operation plus, I like that warm, fuzzy feeling knowing
the ignition platforms (pockets & flash holes) of my loads are the best I can make them.

+1

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Ok, so the swage tool won’t take care of the flash hole burr pushed out when it is enlarged by the decapping in.
I am afraid removing it with a rotating flash hole tool is not realistic for me. At least ten thousand 9 mm cases to reload every year, as many of the steps as possible must be streamlined.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jaeger wrote:Ok, so the swage tool won’t take care of the flash hole burr pushed out when it is enlarged by the decapping in.
I am afraid removing it with a rotating flash hole tool is not realistic for me. At least ten thousand 9 mm cases to reload every year, as many of the steps as possible must be streamlined.
Flash hole deburring is done only once, just like any of the other primer pocket operations, except for cleaning. At one time I was running 12K a year.
Michael
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

True!

Return to “All Other Tools”