Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Why Separate Cases by Headstamp?

Post by Green Frog »

I’m just starting to load 9mm Luger for my custom S&W 639 since ammunition prices are so high and I have plenty of reloading supplies. My best loading buddy advised that for most consistent results, especially when crimping, it would be useful to sort my brass. My feeling is that it will be best to learn the rules and how they work before I begin to break them! :mrgreen:

Froggie
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Green Frog wrote:I’m just starting to load 9mm Luger for my custom S&W 639 since ammunition prices are so high and I have plenty of reloading supplies. My best loading buddy advised that for most consistent results, especially when crimping, it would be useful to sort my brass. My feeling is that it will be best to learn the rules and how they work before I begin to break them! :mrgreen:

Froggie
When it comes to consistent crimp consistent length is the major requirement then brand as thickness at the case mouth my vary across brands. Some may say otherwise but 9mm should be tapper crimped as it headspaces off the case mouth.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
Green Frog wrote:I’m just starting to load 9mm Luger for my custom S&W 639 since ammunition prices are so high and I have plenty of reloading supplies. My best loading buddy advised that for most consistent results, especially when crimping, it would be useful to sort my brass. My feeling is that it will be best to learn the rules and how they work before I begin to break them! :mrgreen:

Froggie
When it comes to consistent crimp consistent length is the major requirement then brand as thickness at the case mouth my vary across brands. Some may say otherwise but 9mm should be tapper crimped as it headspaces off the case mouth.

Make smoke,

Are you trimming the 9mm cases as needed?
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've never found any that needed trimming. With either a tapper crimp or the Lee FCD case length is only a minor problem. All my auto pistol cartridges get tapper crimped and the straight wall that I shoot in both pistol and rifle get either tapper crimped or the FCD. I don't find that growth in length is much of a problem in pistol cartridges even with "hot" loads.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “All Other Tools”