Lyman Corncob Plus Problems

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lyman Corncob Plus Problems

Post by GasGuzzler »

Here is the box for my machine. It was orange inside. It's black now. I haven't found anything that will break the slime off the plastic yet but I only tried glass cleaner and rubbing alcohol so far.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Call Lyman ad ask them "What the hell?"
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

GasGuzzler wrote:Here is the box for my machine. It was orange inside. It's black now. I haven't found anything that will break the slime off the plastic yet but I only tried glass cleaner and rubbing alcohol so far.

I have the same tumbler and get the same black film on the orange tube. I've just had to live with it.
Je suis Charlie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The black film doesn't bother me too much unless it's related to the packed in media. The granules are greenish until they're run with clean brass then everything turns black. Here's the funny part...if left out in the open, the Lyman media turns back to green.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:The black film doesn't bother me too much unless it's related to the packed in media. The granules are greenish until they're run with clean brass then everything turns black. Here's the funny part...if left out in the open, the Lyman media turns back to green.
Interesting. Mine has remained the multi-tone green and tan. It looks like the big brother to Hodgdon's International powder. Clogging the pocket is unacceptable. From my experience, I've not seen it.

You haven't mentioned adding anything to the media. The black in the bin and on the cob is puzzling as well. My Frankford bin is blue, the same as on the outside.

Are you washing your brass with anything prior to the cleaning? Adding anything? I wash all my brass, even before I decap, but then run it through a brass dryer.

I was out feeding my dog, so I took the following pictures as my brass cleaning table is near the shop sink. I used a micro dropper to introduce one micro-drop of water. A slight swirling of the cap caused an immediate bond between the kernels without discoloring. Your media must not be the same as mine, or it has changed since May of '18 (production date on box). I wonder what kind of agent is turning your bin and media black? A chemical base that evaporates is a bit of a clue in that the media goes back to the original color.

If your product label is what I have and you want to sell the Cob+, I will buy it.

What do you think of splitting the Lyman media posts out into a stand-alone topic?
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:Are you washing your brass with anything prior to the cleaning? If your product label is what I have and you want to sell the Cob+, I will buy it.
I will try some more experiments with it first. I thought about this yesterday and decided that possibly there could be a reaction between an ingredient and something from my washing process. Although I thought I washed and rinsed them very well, maybe there was a hint of Dawn left?

I will post some pictures.
Ranch Dog wrote:Adding anything? I wash all my brass, even before I decap, but then run it through a brass dryer.
There could have been a very slight amount of moisture left huddled away in the primer pockets since I don't have a drier but that means the pockets would have stayed "wet" in the pockets only for about two weeks as well as throughout the decap AND resize steps.
Ranch Dog wrote:What do you think of splitting the Lyman media posts out into a stand-alone topic?
I think that is a good idea.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Are you washing your brass with anything prior to the cleaning? If your product label is what I have and you want to sell the Cob+, I will buy it.
I will try some more experiments with it first. I thought about this yesterday and decided that possibly there could be a reaction between an ingredient and something from my washing process. Although I thought I washed and rinsed them very well, maybe there was a hint of Dawn left?
It sounds that we are doing the identical same thing. My typical dryer run is 2 hours after the wash and rinse.

I still think it would be worth asking Lyman about the black coating the process is delivering. Manufacturers tend to see it all.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Here are the pics. I'm emailing Lyman right now.

62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

GasGuzzler wrote:Here are the pics. I'm emailing Lyman right now.
Mine looks just like yours so interested in Lymans reply.
Je suis Charlie
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I tried mebbe 20 different things for "media" and after some successes and many failures I settled on corn cob blast media, 14-20. Blast media is much better quality controlled (made for cleaning metal not pet poop) and the size, 14-20 does not get clogged in the primer pockets or flash holes. My "formula" is cob blast media and 1 tablespoon of Turtle wax per load. No abrasives, no rouge, no "polishes", no commercial "cartridge cleaning" additives. If I want shiny brass (30-06 Garand brass and 45 ACP 1911 brass) all I have to do is leave the brass in the tumbler longer. For really tarnished brass or cleaning rusty tools/parts I add about 25% HF hard resin pyramid media. K.I.S.S. Even when I helped tumble parts at a machine shop I worked in many years ago, no complex formula was used, just ceramic pieces, water and a bit of liquid soap.

FWIW; tumbling cartridge cases is prolly the most talked about but least important part of reloading...

Return to “All Other Tools”