Question regarding Deluxe Quick Trim

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
jrhmem01
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Question regarding Deluxe Quick Trim

Post by jrhmem01 »

30 Carbine.jpg
This is my first attempt at trimming using the Deluxe Quick trim with power attachment.

Does the outside chamfer appear excessive? 30 Carbine brass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Question regarding Deluxe Quick Trim

Post by GasGuzzler »

Your photo is very blurry so it's hard to tell. In my experience, brass that is well over-length to start needs trimmed a little then de-burr then trimmed a little more than de-burr instead of trimming all the excess at once.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Same here, the photo is too blurry to see what you are asking about. Any chance for a better photo?
Michael
jrhmem01
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jrhmem01 »

Will try another photo, thanks
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I may be the odd man out but I have never chamfered the outside edge of a case mouth. Chamfer on the inside edge is meant to ease bullet seating and prevent shaving or scratching the bullet. The outside turning is just enough to clean up any burrs left by the trimming process. If you can see a bevel then something is wrong with your setup. Same is true if the case mouth edge is noticeably thinned by inside chamfering.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My point exactly above. It usually means there's more to trim or even a problem with the tools. No trimmer can take off 0.125" all at once and leave the brass looking good. I made that number up to make a point but during the process of taking 1500+ pieces of picked up off the ground military 5.56X45 from scrap to finished, I learned that the cases that were way over in length (relative) would sometimes come out like that unless the trimming was done a little at a time with the de-burr being done in between to keep the scrap off the cutter.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Back when I was shooting IHMSA my production gun was a 10" Contender in 357 Herret. Cases were (are) made by expanding 30/30 cases to 357 and pushing the shoulder back then trimming to length before loading to fire form. There is more than that1/8" to trim. I used a Forester trimmer with a drill to turn it and found early on that I had to stop at least once and clean up the cut before taking it down to the final length. The cutter that is basically an end-mill would clog up if I pushed it. And it would overheat if pushed too hard. Outside champfering should probably be limited to clean up the shavings and at least from my experience should be hardly visible.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

All that is needed on the case mouth OD is removing the burr/sharp edge. Actual chamfering, adding a short taper is not needed and on cases that will headspace on the case mouth, it's not wanted. Adding a few thousandths taper/chamfer on the case mouth ID is OK as long as you don't have a sharp "knife" edge on the mouth. I don't load or shoot any 30 Carbine but doesn't is headspace on the case mouth?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
jrhmem01
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jrhmem01 »

Thank you all. I re-read the instructions, set the die to to only take "1/2 a bite" and the cases look normal. Without the very pronounced chamfer. Now there is no hint of chamfer, no burrs or sharp edges.

Return to “Case Trimming”