Adjusting Case Length Gauges

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Adjusting Case Length Gauges

Post by Ranch Dog »

[mod="Ranch Dog"]This was a post in a topic several years back. With the APP bringing an interest in case prep, someone might find it useful.[/mod]
Here is how I set up a Lee Case Length Gauge before use. I've never seen one longer than the SAAMI trim spec, they are typically about .005" to .010" shorter. I would have to count them, but I'm using 27 stock trimmers and I have a bunch of special order trimmers. I've used them for a very long time.

Before use, I make sure that the threaded tongue is not compressed. I want friction to hold a set distance; it can be with the body of the gauge off the cutter surface.

I set the case overall length to my spec. That is always .005" under the SAAMI case length. It is straightforward to establish with a caliper. If the tongue of the gauge is holding the trimmer in place, this length will not change. I use an old archery string nock plier to adjust the gauge. Because of the nock cutouts, it never mars the gauge.

his gauge for the 7.62x39 was set and used yesterday to trim a batch of brass for my Savage 10 FCM. The gauge is considerably short, a length of 1.510, the SAAMI case length is 1.528. I thought the first trimmer I had was bad, Lee sent me another, but it was the same length. In that I always check/adjust them, it doesn't matter to me, so I use the replacement.

Cases in the lot that are not at a critical length and passed.

In that, I'm checking each case, each time the lot is cycled, those that do need trimming need only light trimming. About two years ago, I started to anneal all my rifle cartridges every cycle, and that makes the trimming easy. I also have switched all my bolt action rifles to the Lee Collet dies, and my case wear is nil. Typically, like with this lot of 50 7.62x39 cases, I see less than half of them need to be trimmed, and the debris from that trimming is not much.

I try to remember that these are hand tools and so I go easy on the electric drill speed and pressure.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Adjusting Case Length Gauges

Post by horseman »

Good idea on setting the Lee trim length gauges. The difference I normally/always? see between SAMMI case lengths is .10 (ten thousandths) between "maximum" case length and "trim to" case length. I only have two that I use for rifle and that's for 223 and 30'06. Both, if screwed in "tight" to the cutter (I do use calipers to check the length) are right at SAMMI "trim to" length. (notice I didn't say "minimum length) I suppose after much use the "nub" would/could wear down to shorten the length. But I also note that you use .05 trim so I assume (don't you hate that) you're setting .05 below "maximum" case length. This is probably a bit "rambling" along but I'm a bit under the weather today and brains a bit more "fuzzy" than usual. No, not C19, just been having some vertigo issues of late. Dr. said I need to drink more water, personally I'm going for a second opinion.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Do you measure the gauge itself or do you cut and adjust?

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I have had to make gauges for calibres such as the 7.5 Swiss that I couldn't get. This is when I wish I had bought a mini-lathe when I had the chance.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by bayou »

I have numerous rifle gauges that I use for trimming. I've tried several trimmers - RCBS hand crank, Forster hand crank and Lee drill assisted. By far, the Lee is the most efficient and economical at the same time.

All of my gauges are either at SAAMI or a couple thousanths above. I simply screw them into the cutter until they hit dead stop and don't try to force them further.

I really like this trimming system. With the cutter glued into a wooden ball (which I did myself) and with the 3-jaw chuck in the drill, this system is the best for me!

Bayou52
bayou
NRA Life Member
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I wouldn't call the Lee system efficient when you're doing 1500 military cases but I do have the trimmers from Lee for all my cartridges just in case a few need trimmed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Case Trimming”