Classic Turret priming

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Classic Turret priming

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Lyman turret, RCBS RC, Jr., and Pardner, Hornady LNL AP, and a few more I'm forgetting and the only one I really don't mind at all priming on the press has been the Classic Turret. It's the only one I can somehow feel the primer seating. The LNL AP is a full progressive but it primes on the upstroke so you should be able to feel it better. The RCBS presses all prime on the up as well and again you don't really feel if you are crushing or seating. But somehow the Classic Turret transfers the feel just fine. I can't explain it and maybe I'm just luck but that is the only priming on the press that I don't mind one bit. And the Safety Prime only makes it faster!
Pb2au

Re: Classic Turret priming

Post by Pb2au »

I feel the same way. I had used the Lee hand priming tool, which works just fine. But when I got the classic turret up and running, it was like night and day.
Priming on press is simply awesome. Good feel, easy and smooth. The one thing I do not have on it is the Safety primer feeder. I would love some feedback on that device.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Pb2au wrote:I feel the same way. I had used the Lee hand priming tool, which works just fine. But when I got the classic turret up and running, it was like night and day.
Priming on press is simply awesome. Good feel, easy and smooth. The one thing I do not have on it is the Safety primer feeder. I would love some feedback on that device.
I have it and use it on both the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Classic Cast. It comes with mounts for both presses and will work on most of the Lee "O" type single stage presses also. It takes a second to switch from small to large primers or move it to the other press.
Joe
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

I do most of my priming off the bench. Mostly because of convenience for me, though for the longest time I solely primed on the press(single stage Lee), the problem I had on the bench was the last two or three primers would not feed. As long as there were more than three primers it was flawless. Not a real big deal but always wondered why.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Fullthrottle wrote:I do most of my priming off the bench. Mostly because of convenience for me, though for the longest time I solely primed on the press(single stage Lee), the problem I had on the bench was the last two or three primers would not feed. As long as there were more than three primers it was flawless. Not a real big deal but always wondered why.
That is true of most on the press priming systems that depend on gravity to work. Not enough and they won't always slide into position. I simply add about 10 more than I plan to load if possible or add more about 10 short of what I loaded for. I find they are easy to put back in the box if you use the primer feed disk part of the primer system. So as Lee claims no more than 100 primers at a time so that is about right for me in a single session of reloading.
Joe
jtiv19

Post by jtiv19 »

I had to shim the mount on my safety prime up with a flat washer so it would feed properly when the ram was at the top of the stroke. I also had to do the same on my breech lock challenger. I have tried using my auto prime but just can't get a good "feel" for it.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Never used anything but the Safety Prime on the Turret Press. Had thought of buying a Lee Auto Prime but the Safety Prime came with the Classic Turret press and couldn't bring my self to spend the extra money. Been happy with the system I have now so need to change yet.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “On Press Priming”