Loadmaster won't auto prime properly!

Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster won't auto prime properly!

Post by Neted »

Ok I've read everything, watched hours or you tube videos and I still can't seem to get the primers to seat properly in the shells. (45 ACP). They seem to be sideways or turned in such a way I end up crushing them when I advance the press. HELP!!!!! The guide is keeping the shell in place and everything is where it should be at least I think it is. Any sugestions?
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Loadmaster won't auto prime properly!

Post by Fyodor »

Can you post some good close up pictures?

Obviously something is not as it should be. Have you had a closer look on the priming without a case? What does the primer do? Will it glide in position smoothly, and will it not catch any edge?

EDIT
Have you tried a sizing die in station 2? A case that's not correctly aligned might cause that, too.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

OK, I tried to take some pictures but the camera wouldn't focus close enough. I HAVE FOUND MY PROBLEM THOUGH!!!! I was using Large Primers 2 1/2 and I found that the brass, which I bought, had Mixed primer pockets. about 25% were .20+ diameter the rest were .17+ in diameter. When I started sorting and using the small pistol primers all seemed to work well.

I thought I had read everything there was to read on this! nowhere did I see mentioned that 45ACP came in two different sized primers!!! Is this normal? will I encounter this with other calibers? should I load the shells that measured .20+ with the large pistol primers? the Lyman book says to use the small ones.

I was able to load about 60 rounds starting at the lowest recommended grain and moving up about 1 1/2 in steps. I'll try these next weekend at the range. +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

Unfortunately there is quite a bit of 45 ACP loaded (I think they call it non-toxic primers) with small primers. I don't shoot 45, but I see a lot of 40 s&w cases head stamped NT. But 40s just use small primer anyway so it's no problem with them.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quite a mix as Steve has noted. I uniform them all to a Large Pistol with a Large Pistol Primer Pocket Correction Tool but honestly, I stopped buying once fired brass in favor of new.
Michael
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

Ranch Dog wrote:Quite a mix as Steve has noted. I uniform them all to a Large Pistol with a Large Pistol Primer Pocket Correction Tool but honestly, I stopped buying once fired brass in favor of new.
Thank you RD. Is this common with all caliber's or just 45? I plan to eventually reload .357, 9mm, .223 and .243 in addition to the .45acp. I bought the turret's for all these as well as the dies. I just don't like the waste of materials. If I have time this next weekend I may try the .357.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:Quite a mix as Steve has noted. I uniform them all to a Large Pistol with a Large Pistol Primer Pocket Correction Tool but honestly, I stopped buying once fired brass in favor of new.
Interesting, am I understanding it correctly Ranch Dog. With this tool you can cut the small primer pocket out to large?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:Interesting, am I understanding it correctly Ranch Dog. With this tool you can cut the small primer pocket out to large?
Ahhh... always in a hurry and I didn't take the time to fully describe what I do. I uniform all my pockets and clean them every time using the K&M tools on a drill. Any that don't work with the appropriate tool are tossed.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

This tool is used to make all pockets uniform not to resize primer pockets at least not the ones I have used for .357mag,.45acp, or .308 winchester. Maybe something new out I do not know about to actaully repocket the shell case for different primers but I haver not seen one yet. As with anything with accuracy consitency is the key keeping everything uniform and the same throughout the process creates better results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Steve wrote:Interesting, am I understanding it correctly Ranch Dog. With this tool you can cut the small primer pocket out to large?
Ahhh... always in a hurry and I didn't take the time to fully describe what I do. I uniform all my pockets and clean them every time using the K&M tools on a drill. Any that don't work with the appropriate tool are tossed.
Thanks for staightening me out Ranch Dog. I am already over stocked with stuff that doesn't do what I thought it would. Ask my wife, she will tell everybody that will listen.

Edited: added the word doesn't.

Return to “On Press Priming”