Loose primers, opps!

daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Loose primers, opps!

Post by daboone »

Went shooting real early with 6 of my kids and a good friend on Saturday. My kid know the rules, one being leave no brass behind.

Yesterday I got busy tumbling that load of range pickup. I noticed 2 small rifle primer mixed in with the SS pins. On checking the M1 Carbine brass sure enough 2 cases were missing primers. :shock:

I load my M1 Carbine on a progressive so I don't always take the time to "feel" the primer seating. Lesson learned, thankfully before anything nasty happened.

Just thought I'd pass this on as a reminder that primer pockets get loose. From now on primer seating will get more attention especially on seriously recycled brass.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Loose primers, opps!

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks for reminding. You know you're in a good group when people make admissions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, thanks for the great reminder!
GasGuzzler wrote:You know you're in a good group when people make admissions.
Nailed it!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

On another site I got criticized for seemingly suggesting the lack of "feel" when seating primers on a progressive. T

This was my response:

"Depending on the times reloaded and or the type of brass S&B, LC, WRA, Starline, etc., (assuming the crimps have been removed) the "feel" can be significantly different. Especially with mixed headstamps. On a progressive when pumping out large amounts of cartridges it behoves the operator to pay attention to that "feel". Sorry I didn't make that clear in the first post."
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “On Press Priming”