Out of the clear blue, priming problem

rog54
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Out of the clear blue, priming problem

Post by rog54 »

Hi Folks,
Haven't loaded since late winter. prepped about 350 9mm cases, cleaned sonic and walnut tumbled. Inspected closely.
Breech lock Challenger press. Lee dies. Winchester primers. mixed brass.
Around 1500 9mm and 1500 45acp loaded previously on this press and hardware.

Started priming and soon began experiencing these symptoms.
1) a scraping or grinding as primer is pushed into place.
2) some primers will not insert.
3) some primers will insert if I twist the case slightly, (like getting it lined up/started).
4) a few would not go in more than half way.
5) close inspection revealed very small slivers of brass in primer cup.
6) some primer arm binding when raising the ram where the primer arm doesn't fall into the ready position without a light tap.
I've experienced this grinding feeling on occasion in the past infrequently. Now it can happen 2-3 times in a row or every 5th or 6th case.

Is it possible something wearing out having loaded so few in the past? Primer arm ? Shell holder? The pin that the primer arm hooks over inside the ram?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Rog
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Out of the clear blue, priming problem

Post by mr surveyor »

You didn't say whether it was just a single caliber you were having this issue with or both 9mm and .45 acp. If it's just a single caliber I'd be changing the shell holder for the first try. If it's an issue with both calibers (or more), I'd suspect the ram being bent, loose/worn.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Or dirt/debris in the channel where the primer arm rides. Make sure it's clean and free.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Is this mixed headstamp brass? I find that some 9mm brass when pushed to the back of the shellholder is not centered with the hole in the shellholder. When I feel a bit of resistance, I can usually just wiggle the brass a bit while putting light pressure on the primer, and it will fall into place and then can be fully seated.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

My guess is the primer pockets. If you have a reamer or something to "open" the primer pockets a bit, do a few (10 or so) then try to prime those and see what happens. I've run into a couple brands of 9mm that this is a common issue so now I just uniform them all.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote:My guess is the primer pockets. If you have a reamer or something to "open" the primer pockets a bit, do a few (10 or so) then try to prime those and see what happens. I've run into a couple brands of 9mm that this is a common issue so now I just uniform them all.
Yup, me to... What he said.
I have uniformed everything for what seems like forever, priming problems have been
virtually nonexistent. Also, I have recently been applying RD's method of using crimp remover to bevel the edge of the primer pocket, it smooths things up even more.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mikld

Post by mikld »

First, I'd clean and lube my press (and disassemble as far as necessary to get a good cleaning) and check for excessive wear. Is the priming system (stems, cups, shell holders) aligned? Then I'd inspect the brass; any corrosion, tumbling debris in the primer pockets? Any primer crimps? Any S&B cases? Then I might review my priming methods, any differences? I have had minor problems with some calibers and some brass but they are 99% are eliminated by a light chamfer on the primer pocket mouth (I used to have unexpected OOPS! with my Lee Loaders, S&B brass is known for tight, unchamfered primer pockets, some 44 Magnum brass is a bit harder to seat primers in, etc.).
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Three things must line up. The hole in the primer. the hole in the shell holder and both of these with the ram. I am assuming you are using the proper size primer arm. My similar experience was caused by a slightly bent primer arm ram. Clean everything, including the slot in your press ram and then run the primer arm up through the ram till the cup is even with the bottom of the shell holder.. Is it centered? Do you get the scraping sound or any binding?
rog54

Post by rog54 »

Thanks guys,
You got me to thinking a little deeper! I was thinking along the line of alignment problems or something worn out. Then one of you mentioned the primer pockets. My pockets were clean but I looked at the head stamp because one of you mentioned different brand cases. Hmmm? at first I didn't find the "WMA" head stamp. Then, bingo! Winchester! they made military rounds stamped WMA, and apparently the spec called for a crimp around the primer as shown in the picture below. Originally I saw the crimp but was asleep at the wheel and thought that the clunking, grinding and bumping was my primer pocket causing the problem and making that mark.
I have to do a couple tests but expect WMA's are going to emerge as the culprit and others will push in fine. Which brings me to another question. Seeing that I will start separating out any crimped primer brass, at some point I'll accumulate a bunch. Again, as one of you mentioned ream or camphor the pocket. What brand tool or procedure would you guys recommend? Any comments? Do you think this was my issue?
I am replacing the shell holder and primer arm as both took some stress.
WMA case.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rog54

Post by rog54 »

primer cup not pocket on my last post....Dah

Return to “On Press Priming”