Safety Primer mostly working

celem
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Safety Primer mostly working

Post by celem »

For many years I have only reloaded on a single stage press. I recently purchased a lead classic turret press. So far everything works fine except the safety primer has giving me problems. I finally got it working about 98 percent of the time it is much more finicky on the turret press then it is on a single stage press. It seems quite loose flimsy and difficult to work with but by playing with the angle in position it is about 98 percent reliable. I dropped a few primers out of every 100 some people have better luck with this I will keep trying.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Safety Primer mostly working

Post by 62chevy »

I have the same problem but just hold my hand under it to catch the primer. Some one else on here told me to loosen the bolt and adjust the angle but haven't done that yet, next time I reload it will get done. Mine sticks then drops the primer so guessing that if it stops sticking it should be fine. Just a guess thou.
Je suis Charlie
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

I don't have one but have watched videos on setting it up correctly. The "angle of the dangle" seems to be crucial to it working well. I didn't bookmark links to the video or I would offer it.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Loosen the bracket that holds the arm just enough so you can with some effort. I found that the easiest way to dial in in just right.
celem

Post by celem »

As I said earlier it works about 98 percent of the time. I have been using it on the single stage press and it is much more reliable on the single-stage. It just doesn't seem to quite fit so well on the turret press. I have filled with position and orientation but I haven't found a 100 percent solution. It certainly is flimsy.
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

When you mentioned flimsy it made me think. You may be pushing it a bit sideways when you notice the flimsy aspect which might support the thought it needs just a bit of alignment adjustment.

Just a thought. I don't own one but have studied some videos of others using them.

If that doesn't work at least you didn't pay for this advice. :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Did this ever get worked out? Because I'm back to priming on my Turret Press and it's working at 100% again.
celem

Post by celem »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Did this ever get worked out? Because I'm back to priming on my Turret Press and it's working at 100% again.
Did I get it worked out? Well not really but I have gotten used to it. Out of a hundred rounds I drop maybe two or three primers. It is my belief that the safety primer is more of an art than a technology. Paying attention to what I'm doing and not trying too hard, going with the flow whatever you want to call it, it is an art and most of the time I can get it to work. However I really feel this should be more of a technology and less of an art.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

It's not the dropping 2 to 3 per 100s that bothers me it's finding where the little suckers are hiding. :lol:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

daboone wrote:It's not the dropping 2 to 3 per 100s that bothers me it's finding where the little suckers are hiding. :lol:
That is why I hold my hand under it to catch the run away primers.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “On Press Priming”