Safety Prime Success

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Safety Prime Success

Post by Ranch Dog »

The last time that I tried priming on a press, save my recent work with the Load-Masters, the experience was horrific and left me scarred. That was in 1978 with a Hornady press and I have never wanted to do it again.

Well, I decided to pull out the Safety Prime that had come with my Breech Lock Challenger Press and give it a try with my Classic Turret. I had never opened the box but now see that it is an old version with the round primer trays and made for the longer length primer arm. This also explains the bushing that rides under the bolt on the front, right column of my press and which is not identified in either of the instructions; the press or the Safety Prime. The bushing is a spacer that allows the use of the older, shorter Safety Prime units with the newer, shorter primer arms. Anyway, I'm up and running and it hasn't missed a beat!

I went ahead and ordered a new unit from Titan so that I can have the newer, folded, flat top primer trays. They are working well with my Load-Masters and would like to use them with the turret.

The Load-Masters have taught me that I've been handling my cartridges way too much and this is just another step in keeping everything on the press until a loaded round is produced.
Michael
HankRearden
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Safety Prime Success

Post by HankRearden »

Glad yours is working well. I always had moderate success with mine. It sat for a long time and when I recently tried it it wouldn't work but about one out of ten times. I ordered new ones from Lee and they sent them FREE.
I was just trying the small primer piece and the first 20 or so the primers were all kind of at an angle. after 20 it is like it got broken in because now they are good all but about one out of twenty.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Post the differences side by side.

Mine sat up a while and gave me some flipped primers but in the past never was troublesome.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Post the differences side by side.

Mine sat up a while and gave me some flipped primers but in the past never was troublesome.
Will do when I receive it. I doubt there are any other than how the new trays attach. New trays will not seat on my earlier SP.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

When I had a Classic Turret with the safety prime I recall having minor issues with it (safety prime). I took it apart and "cleaned" it up, (sorry, I don't remember what exactly that entailed), set it up to where it "hit" the primer cup at the top of the ram stroke (used a small flat washer) and never had another problem with it. I do remember you had to give the "button" a quick, firm push. I also had one for a Challenger press but I didn't use it after the initial try. I just didn't like the way it comes from the side of the press to feed the primer. Awkward for me.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

The only annoyance I have with the safety prime is that the last 2 primers have to be loaded into the cup by hand
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I really haven't give it anything other than a test with different sets of cartridges. Will soon be loading a bunch of different rifle ammuniton.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Never had that last two issue.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Poppop wrote:The only annoyance I have with the safety prime is that the last 2 primers have to be loaded into the cup by hand
GasGuzzler wrote:Never had that last two issue.
First time with a complete load of primers. Last two fed.
Michael
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

GasGuzzler wrote:Never had that last two issue.
Thinking about calling Lee and check with them as to a fix-if any
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA

Return to “On Press Priming”