Lee Ram Prime

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee Ram Prime

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm thinking of buying one to try out. Do they work pretty well for feeling the primer seating?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Lee Ram Prime

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Went to order a Ram Prime and Auto Prime 2 only to find Lee has dropped the Auto Prime 2.

Bummer.

I see no way of using the Ram Prime and not having to hand load each primer with your fingers or a tool. Yet another case of ya snooze, ya lose.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I have one that I use on my Lee Hand press. I originally bought it for the Lee Reloader press to use with shotgun shells but gave that press to my BIL and picked up the hand press. It comes in handy once in a while when all I have is a set of dies, powder, primers at one of my meets. I actually carry it and a set of 45 Colt dies when shooting cowboy action once a month. I also carry a Universal decapping die with the range setup.
Joe
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I don't understand why they dropped the auto prime 2 in favor of the ram prime. I would prefer the auto prime 2, but couldn't get one, too.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I used a ram prime for a long time. You can feel the primers pretty good with it mounted on a turret press. I also used a Auto Prime 2 for a long time, it also worked pretty good. Don't know why they discontinued them, I speculated it was because of no convienate way to mount a blast shield like on the Loadmaster.

Both of them do an excelent job of priming.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I use a ram prime quite a bit. I have an old CH alum "C" press that I use as my priming press with my ram prime installed. I get better feel with a ram prime than my 2 Lee and one Hornady hand primers, and of course much better consistency and feel than the press priming arm. Yep, each primer is fed individually, but I don't have a quota to meet and if my method is slightly slower, oh well. I place a paper towel on the bench and dump some primers on it so it's easy to pick up the primers, and once I develop a rhythm, priming goes pretty fast. I haven't had a "high" primer (not seated deep enough) since I began using a ram prime...
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I use the ram prime on my hand press, and I can easily reach split time of below 10 seconds. The auto prime 2 would be even nicer, though.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “On Press Priming”