New Safety Prime User

Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

New Safety Prime User

Post by Kaiser »

I just installed the new Safety Prime system to the Classic Cast Turret press and my first impression is it is too flimsy to be reliable and too imprecise to feed onto the priming arm with any consistency. I don't have a feel on how to operate it properly to gain any consistent assurance that my cartridges are being primed in this critical operation! I would appreciate any tips or information on how to operate this priming system to eliminate the errors I see lurking and my "clumsy" attempts at finessing the operation.
I've been using the Auto Prime for many many years and thought that maybe Lee had invented a better, more efficient way to prime; but have they? I will endeavor to persevere! ;)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: New Safety Prime User

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been using it for a couple of years now by following the simple instructions. Are you making assumptions about it before you work with it? If so, give it a box of primers and try it. It probably took me twenty rounds to get use to it. I've never have had it drop a primer, it always places it correctly in the cup.
Michael
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Kaiser »

Yeah, I am probably making an unfair assumption based on its construction and its "whimpy" action in use. I've been using Lee tools since 1968, so I'm not throwing in the towel on looks; I just thought there might be some technique or mode of operation that would keep the primers aligned to prevent primers from missing their target (priming arm/charger), similar to the "tie-tie" mode used by some on the folding primer tray that keeps the tray feeding properly. As I said, I will persevere. Thanks for the quick reply.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Like RD, never had a problem with them. Give it a shot.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

It is flimsy and cheesy but it works. I drop about every 30th and about every 60th comes down the tube sideways or upside down but get a rhythm going and it mostly works. I have the round one that came with my LCT.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:It is flimsy and cheesy but it works. I drop about every 30th and about every 60th comes down the tube sideways or upside down but get a rhythm going and it mostly works. I have the round one that came with my LCT.
What I did from the get-go is put a tiny tie-wrap around the top of the chute. It seems to improve tray security and I've not had a sideway primer.

Notice that a did use a "red" tie-wrap so it stuck with the Lee theme.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I have the older, round, version and other than the tabs of the covers breaking shortly after I got the tool I am happy. An elastic band to hold the cover on solved that. Occasionally the primers hang up in the opening to the shoot but a light flick and down they come. Never lost a primer or had one come down upside down or sideways. If this happens there must be something wrong as there isn't enough gap anywhere to allow a primer to flip or turn sideways on my two units.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I had one of the first type that came out. Used it on a Classic Turret. Had to make sure it was the same height as the primer cup at the top of the ram and the right angle for it to work well, IIRC I had to add a small washer to the black one that came with the unit. After a while of use I started having some issues of the primers feeding to the trough, (LP unit) took it apart and did something to it, I don't remember what really, it was a long time ago, perhaps just cleaning it up a bit, I think it had some funky spring in there, anyway after that I never had another problem with it. Just a straight push with my index finger and done. Loaded a lot of rounds with that thing.
larryw

Post by larryw »

I used the older round one with a Breech Lock Challenger, never had a problem
with mine, loaded thousands of rounds with it. Been thinking on trying to find
another round one & put it on my turret???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

horseman wrote:I had one of the first type that came out. Used it on a Classic Turret. Had to make sure it was the same height as the primer cup at the top of the ram and the right angle for it to work well, IIRC I had to add a small washer to the black one that came with the unit. After a while of use I started having some issues of the primers feeding to the trough,
This
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “On Press Priming”