Looking at a Ram prime tool

RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Looking at a Ram prime tool

Post by RBHarter »

Short version .

My wrist doesn't like the squeeze repetition needed for ram down or hand priming anymore on the good days its not bad but on the bad days and the day after its horrible and leads aspirin , burbon and crankiness .
Enter the rising ram high mechanical advantage tool . I don't really want a bench top primer that space is at a premium , although a couple more blind nuts won't hurt anything . I have a press near ideal for the ram prime tool in permanent position .

I've been looking at the Lee , Lyman and RCBS units , for which the reviews aren't very helpful .
Yes I know where I am .
I recall something in the distant past . RD had issues or replaced one with a better or different tool .

Lee has the price point advantage by 45% at Midway . RCBS is in the middle but comes with complete rod assy for lg&sm primers handy for 45 ACP and 6.8 among others . Lyman is only a buck or so more but requires buying extra parts or parts swapping for lg to sm primers .
The CH is out by price point even if it has extra features . It's not worth 3x the big green or 5x + Lee for 1 extra function I can grind a rod or 2 to do .

Sell me on the most satisfying , low aggrevation , long life tool .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Looking at a Ram prime tool

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was experiencing a similar problem with my hand so, I switched to the Safety Prime three years ago and haven't seated a primer with a hand tool since. I started with the original version and updated it to the present. The only thing that I've done with them is to add a small tie-wrap up at the top of the trough to help with the security of that part.

Michael
barracudadave67
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Looking at a Ram prime tool

Post by barracudadave67 »

Harter
I have all three ram primes. Its the only way I prime anymore. I prefer the RCBS , and the Lyman, then the Lee, in that order. the RCBS is smooth to operate, as is the Lyman. Changing parts on either is not a big deal. the Lee can be a bit cantanckerous compared the other two. I use one of Lees small "C" presses as a dedicated priming station.
I also use one of Lees small "C" presses as a dedicated depriming station.

Dave

Return to “On Press Priming”