My fix for the U spring

Ron IL
My Press Choice: Turret

My fix for the U spring

Post by Ron IL »

I have bought two complete sets of the safety primer with the round hopper. Now the second set won't feed. I looked it over to see what was up. I had cleaned them really good but would not feed a primer. The U spring was worn out. I think I saw on the Lee web site that they no longer have parts for it. So I made my own repair. My first trial was to glue a plastic soda straw for a guide and a spring out of an ink pen. Worked really good so I made a little better one. I went to Ace hardware and picked up a nylon spacer and some springs. The spacer I got was a little big for the space so I had to dremel it down a little and made it square on the outside so it would glue in good. Used a good super glue. The first rivet I used was aluminum from Ace. It worked pretty good but I ended up using one out of my junk box. It is the copper one with a longer leg on it. It slides in the tube so the spring won't bend. Sort of a recoil spring for a pistol. I had to cut a couple of coils off of the spring to fit good. The head of the rivet just fits the top piece and keeps the spring centered. So far it works like a champ. The whole problem is that the when the U spring quits, it won't come back far enough to pick up the next primer. I was doing it by hand until I fixed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron from Southern Illinois
Retired coal miner
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: My fix for the U spring

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very innovative!
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My fix for the U spring

Post by akuser47 »

Now that's cool great work
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “On Press Priming”