LEE Hand Primer

pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

LEE Hand Primer

Post by pricedo »

I have several LEE hand primers.
They are the safest and quickest way to reload.
Those long primer columns containing 100 or so primers on the big progressives scare me.
If one of those primers detonates you have a perfect fragmentation bomb going off in your face.
I put 10 primers at a time in the LEE hand primer and I can still prime really fast.
The hand primer lets you feel the primer into the pocket until you feel it "bottom out".
No high primers.
That same intimacy is impossible through a big press linkage. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: LEE Hand Primer

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have several of the Auto-Primes, last version. I have conservatively primed at least 150,000 rounds with each.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I love the lee hand primer. I don't like doing it on my press less feel to it. Also I am scared of tube feed primer systems.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

as a low volume single stager, the hand primer works perfect for me. I have found more than once though that if I don't keep it at the proper angle an occasional primer may want to flip ... particularly small pistol primers. Other than that, I dump either 20 or 30 at a time in, or exactly the count I may need for a smaller number of brass, and know for sure that I haven't lost (another) primer on the floor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I keep a hand primer for every caliber that I load for.
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Model 52 »

My cousin advised me to get a Lee Auto-prime over 20 years ago (and he owns an ammunition manufacturing company) as he felt it offered more "feel" than any other priming system at the time. I've never had any reason to change.

I have shell holders for just about every caliber, but I only own two Auto-prime units - one for small primers and one for large primers as it only takes a few seconds to change the shell holder.

Now, that said, I only use them on precision rifle calibers as everything else ends up being done on a Dillon 550B, but it makes a great compliment to the Lee Hand Press I use in the field and with black powder rifle cartridges in.45 Colt, .38-55 and .45-70.
pricedo

Post by pricedo »

44-40 Willy wrote:I keep a hand primer for every caliber that I load for.
They are so inexpensive (and good) that would be easy to do.
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by joec »

I've never used them but did have a Hornady Hand Primer that used universal shell holders. It worked well as I could prime my 12 ga brass shot shells which take large pistol primers but now with the Lee Safety Prime setup to work on both my Turret and single stage I no longer have it and gave it to my brother in law. I do have a priming system for my Lee Hand Press that works though 1 primer at a time.
Joe
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I use several auto prime but also boughtthe press ram mount for various occasions. I have worn out the surface onthe metal rod but turned it over so have a fresh wearing surface for a while. I guess at some point I will buy the new square style so I don't have to jiggle the primers to get them in the feed shoot.i still have a rcbs that has a primer arm attached, but it is out of the way. I like being able to prime 20 or 30 rounds at a time and load them separately when I decide what combo to load.
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

I have the Lee auto prime xl, this is my first off press primer and I am very pleased with it!

Return to “Off Press Priming”