LEE Hand Primer

mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: LEE Hand Primer

Post by mikld »

I have owned the Auto Prime, now have two hand primers, a Hornady and a new Lee Ergonomic, and they are far from the easiest and safest. I presently prime my cases with a ram prime, which is easy, accurate, safe and has more "feel" for me. I have a stage C-H press set up for the ram prime and all I have to do is change shell holders or primer pins, and I have primed thousands of small and large primed cases.
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

Fullthrottle wrote:I have the Lee auto prime xl, this is my first off press primer and I am very pleased with it!

Until now! (never quoted myself before). The dang tabs that hold the clear cover, one broke off. I can still use it without issues....but dang it!

Guess I will be buying a replacement. Still very happy with the Auto prime as it functions but that was strange to happen.
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

I didn't have much luck with the Auto-Prime hand primers. I kept breaking the lever. The cross-section where it broke looked like it was a zinc casting with a fair amount of "porosity" (voids). This happened with two levers. Probably just my ham-fisted use of the equipment.

Bought a RCBS hand primer and haven't had any problems.

Dan
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I am also a "Lee Hand Prime" fan. Sit around watching the tube
or chatting with the wife & prime away. I also like the Lee Safety Prime
on my single stage, just depends on my mood I guess???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
rexherring
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by rexherring »

I love the older round version but I did try a new square tray model because it looked like a good idea. I wound up throwing the thing away. (I know I should have returned it to Lee) It was a total piece of junk, flipped every other primer or fed them sideways no matter what angle I held it. It took longer to make sure the primer was orientated than if I had loaded them single. There must have been a factory problem with mine as I've never had issues with the older model. I haven't tried another new one as long as my older ones still work so I hope it's not an inherent problem with them.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I generally use the old round style myself, but the last few months I've left the small primer ram in the hand primer and just use the ram prime on the hand press for everything requiring large primers. I can still actually pick up the large primers :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Off Press Priming”