Primer pocket differences

Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Primer pocket differences

Post by Steve »

I primed 2,000 forty s&w cases this week while watching TV. This run really showed why mixed range brass can cause priming problems on a progressive press.

Do to primer pocket problems….. (crimped, tight, no chamfer, loose) I ruined probably only about 10 primers, quite a few I had to wiggle the case a little to get them started. Some didn’t want to start , I can feel that so I stop before ruining the primer, cut a little chamfer on the primer pocket and it would start right in.

All of the above mentioned problems would have created a problem on the press, that is why I prime off press. Also I hate pulling bullets.

If I ever start priming on the press again I think I will prepare pistol primer pockets the same as I do rifles…. (swag, true the bottom, ream/chamfer) Just to avoid all the problems.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Primer pocket differences

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use a K&M Primer Pocket Uniformer on all my rifle and revolver brass. With my effort to move priming back to the Load-Master, I'm going to start using the appropriate size uniformer on all my brass.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

That is true primer pocket uniformed is necessary if shooting range pick up. Alot of variables that we cannot control.
The uniformer let's you remove this negative from the equation.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I got some nine nice vintage .45Auto military boxes nearly for free, with the empty brass still in them. I bought an RCBS primer pocket swager to get rid of the crimps, but this doesn't seem to work as I expected it. These cases always cause problems in the press, so I seperated them and don't use them. Does anyone have some experience with the RCBS tool, and can tell me what I'm doing wrong? I pull the lever until my bench flexes, and the stem needs a good kick to become loose from the primer pocket again, but still the primers won't start correctly.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I use the RCBS Trim Mate with its accessories. Having all the different tools rotating on one small footprint unit is VERY convenient. There are several competitor's spin-off s on the market today.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:I got some nine nice vintage .45Auto military boxes nearly for free, with the empty brass still in them. I bought an RCBS primer pocket swager to get rid of the crimps, but this doesn't seem to work as I expected it. These cases always cause problems in the press, so I seperated them and don't use them. Does anyone have some experience with the RCBS tool, and can tell me what I'm doing wrong? I pull the lever until my bench flexes, and the stem needs a good kick to become loose from the primer pocket again, but still the primers won't start correctly.
I use the RCBS swaging tool, then follow with a Lyman PP reamer which cuts the proper chamfer to help the primer start in properly.

I go through so much pistol brass that I don't recover, the time to prep primer pockets would be too great.

I prep all my rifle brass and still prime it using the RCBS bench primer. I enjoy that time as much as reloading.

Return to “Off Press Priming”