TV table mounted bench primer

Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: TV table mounted bench primer

Post by Maximumbob54 »

As easy as it is in my LNL AP to log jam the primers I keep thinking about doing this same thing. Miss the first primer hanging up in the primer shuttle and now there is powder all under and over the shell plate and you have to pull however many bullets it took you to notice it. It's so easy to run the thing fast that usually I pump out a dozen or more until I see powder specs everywhere.... :(
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:As easy as it is in my LNL AP to log jam the primers I keep thinking about doing this same thing. Miss the first primer hanging up in the primer shuttle and now there is powder all under and over the shell plate and you have to pull however many bullets it took you to notice it. It's so easy to run the thing fast that usually I pump out a dozen or more until I see powder specs everywhere.... :(
That kind of stuff is pretty much the reason I started priming off the press. When the cases make it to the Loadmaster it makes the press a real pleasure to run, no frustrations, just pull the handle and watch it work. The primer I use has only one thing to do...... prime, so I guess they didn't have a lot of obsticals in the way of making it work right. I also have a hand primer for small chores, it works good too.

Like you mentioned, pulling bullets, unjamming things, cleaning up after the crash. I think the overall time I spend can't be much more than priming on the press. It's something all brands have to put up with.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm curious about the Load Master die setup when you prime off the press. I've never thought of the LM as a true five station press as one station seems to require the decapper. With this no longer being needed does this open up a station?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm curious about the Load Master die setup when you prime off the press. I've never thought of the LM as a true five station press as one station seems to require the decapper. With this no longer being needed does this open up a station?
(Shell plate contact.)
Yes it does allow more flexibility, and does it well without the priming being done on the press.
Following is the way I am currently doing 40 S&W and 380 auto.
Station 1. Sizing die. (Shell Plate Contact.)
Station 2. Lee universal expanding die. "Great for cast bullets" (Shell Plate Contact.)
Station 3. Powder drop.
Station 4. Lee bullet seating die with taper crimp removed to allow (Shell Plate Contact.)
Station 5. Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Pistol-Setup_6-2-14.jpg
Other posabilities would be such as powder/flare at station2. Then powder cop in station 3. Or maybe bullet feed die. If a peson took time to size when decapping you would actually make available 2 extra stations.

I do it the way I describe simply because it takes care of my needs and works well in my proceedure. Which by the way my proceedure is to have firm die contact at stations 1,2, and 4 to stabilize the shelle plat for improved OAL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Since I see you are using the Hornady powder measure I wanted to mention the Powder Funnels PTX insert:

http://powderfunnels.com/products.html

I have one and I swear by it. I used to use the Lee and I still do from time to time although much of what I used it for is now done with Lyman M dies as they hold the bullet through the shell plate rotation when I use a bullet feed die. The PF PTX insert isn't prefectly a universal but it's close enough at .30 through .50 for all my loading needs. The Hornady inserts work well enough but this thing just works that much better and you only need the one instead of one for each caliber. My only rub was I didn't realize the Hornady bullet feeders come with the appropriate insert for each caliber you buy. Whatever, I still prefer the PF PTX.

As a side note back on the topic of the bench primer, I have that same RCBS setup. I have missed that i just used the last primer and had the end of the rod lodge in the brass and stick. I tapped it out with a and it left a dimple in the face of the rod. Now it leaves a mark on the primer when seating. I did buy a new one but I didn't know the steel was that soft. Just an FYI so you or anyone else that reads this doesn't do what I did. I guess the lesson learned is to tap it out with a brass punch instead of a steel one. I just didn't think it would be a problem. That's what I get for guessing... :roll:
Steve

Post by Steve »

The measure is actually a RCBS. The case activated linkage setup is Hornady.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ah. I saw the linkage and just figured it was Hornady. I'm not sure if the PF PTX insert will work with the RCBS powder measure.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Ah. I saw the linkage and just figured it was Hornady. I'm not sure if the PF PTX insert will work with the RCBS powder measure.
It's the same size Maximumbob. But the Lee Universal Expander is working for me. I didn't discover the Lee Universal Expander untill few months ago, Now I don't know how I ever got along without it.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I used that Lee universal for a while with my cast rifle bullets. I was having a heck of a time not shaving the heck out of the lead and getting them into the cases when I dawned on me if I opened the case mouth just a bit then they would slide right into the case mouth with no damage to the bullets. Then the Lee FCD for the rifles is a collet that sort of presses in on the case mouth instead of rolling it closed that right up. That combo worked for a long time. The only reason I switched to using the M dies was every once in a while I would have a bullet tip to the side and I crushed a couple of cases. Want to see me start blubbering like a little girl? Watch me ruin a case. :cry:
Steve

Post by Steve »

I added a brace on the bench primer table from the corner under the primer handle to the table foot on that corner. (If you look at the picture at the start of this thread, the corner I am talking about is by my right knee.)
It took the flex out of the table when the bench primer seats the primer.

Return to “Off Press Priming”