Ergo-Prime

Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Ergo-Prime

Post by Steelbanger »

Michael,

Yessiree, they are all Ranch Dog designs. The 38-55's are gas checked, as are the 32-20's. My RD mould gives three plain bases and the other 3 are GC'd. Before I shoot the 32-20 that rifle is going to get a scope mounted. I am about finished with silhouette since my vision isn't up to shooting in many conditions such as high humidity when my glasses fog and I can't see through the aperture sight, or low light gives me many problems too. I may get to a few matches before the season wraps up but after then it's all going to be range time only plus a hunt or two for deer. I have been shooting my Ruger SBH and just love those full house 250 grain loads. Recoil enough for anyone and I love it!

Frank
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Man, this thing should have had a kick-stand. Seriously...

Spent the weekend loading and shooting. Not quite sure what to do with EP when it is at rest as it tends to flop over. Had some issues with primers turning sideways in the "pre-feed" "cone" (whatever it is called). In fact, during one of these events I think that two got in there and popped the lid off. Luckily, I had just a couple primers left in the lineup and they stayed put.

Not disappointed, just getting use to it.
This topic is just about too old but I wanted to come back to my post as I've become quite tired of the primer flip. I pulled my two retired Auto Prime's out and threw the Ergo-Prime into the eBay box. The two issues I identified continue to be a thorn in my side.

The Ergo-Prime just doesn't know what to do with itself if it is not in your hand and neither do I know what to do with it. The only position that it wants to be is upside down and it tries it's best to end up there. It comes down to never loading more primers than needed and never setting it down once you start. If you do, primers are going to flip and push the top off.
ergo-prime.jpg
Even if the tool is not at rest but in in operation, it tends to pop its top. I haven't figured it out, don't think I should have to with a $49 tool, but for some reason the primers flip in the identified area and push the top off. At some point, almost every time I have used it the past year, the top comes loose and creates problems.

Anyway, I'm back with my Auto Prime tools. I know that some reloaders have busted the thumb levers off but not I as I would never put that much pressure against a primer. I think my tools could be close to 25 to 30 years old. I'm not sure when they were introduced but whenever it was I bought them. No telling how much ammo they have primed. I do keep them clean and lubed with Vaseline at all the contact/load points. In that I have two, one for small and the other large primers, I doubt I will ever need to find a replacement as I have spare parts. When I first read about the lever breaking, I bought parts but have never needed them.

Adios Ergo-Prime!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I've had the same problems with my Ergo-Prime Lee tool. So, it now resides in a drawer in my reloading tool box... :(

FWIW, my Lee ram prime tool has primed more brass for me than any other tool/fixture I've used, even my Lee Loader... :lol:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I know this is an EP thread but I'm sorta with mikld on this one except mine is the Auto-Prime II. I still appreciate Steve giving me this.

Adding these RCBS bench primer inserts to the shell holders makes it flawless.

These pictures are borrowed from another forum friend, Pause for the COZ. He was the one who came up with the insets idea. As COZ said he figures they would never discontinued selling them if they had added these inserts the package.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

In the beginning I also experienced problems with flipped primers, or snapped open covers. I learned that if you hold the Ergo Prime right, so the primer slide is not too sttep, and not too flat, and you do a little jiggle in your wrist, it works pretty well. It doesn't really matter what movement you do between two primers, just a little fast movement, and I don't have any sideways or upside down primers any more, and no snapped open covers.

On the other hand, I aspacially like on that tool, that you can easily put it aside during priming sessions, and pick it up again to continue. Because of the square trays it won't roll around, and just stays where you put it. Funny, how the same thing can be perceived so differently.

Regarding the Auto Prime II, I got the inserts too, after I wasn't successful in having them cusom made from aluminium for an affordable price. I sent an e-mail to RCBS, explaining that I wanted to try the inserts on my LEE equipment, and that I am not an RCBS customer, so I wanted to pay for these bits. They sent me the parts (to Europe!) but refused to include an invoice. They even sent two sets! The Auto Prime II now even can be used on the hand press without primers flipping, spilling or piling up inside the shellholder, which is a real PITA to fix.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I too am back to my most reliable bench mounted RCBS priming tool. The Ergo-Prime was a huge disappointment due to flipped primers or the tray cover being pushed up. I suppose my hands are a bit too small also because I can't get the proper leverage when squeezing the handle. My hand is about 3/4" too low to get a proper grip and I can't grip it any higher.
s1120

Post by s1120 »

I know its a old post,but figured I would jump in being new to the party.. I picked p one of these and did a handful of 30-30 cases no problem. Flash forward to last week, I started loading 45acp, and MAN what a pain in the butt!!! First it was popping the lid what turned out to be the primers flipping. Next it was not fully seating the primers in about half the cases. After making sure the pockets were good, I looked for other issues... First off, I had forgotten to lube the pivot point on the primer. A drop of oil, and it seats great now!!! Out of 100 rounds I had 1 that I had to go back and reseat. Next the lid... well the issue is if you don't hold the tool not only at a downward angle, but also tipped in a little the next primer in line only gets halfway on the lifting post, and flips. Once I learned the trick, and keep a eye on it, I had very little issues. So, finding the angle it likes, and lubing that pivot improved the tool 100%!! Also the tool itself fits in my hand well, and I like the lever setup. So all in all, I like the tool, but they could improve the tray setup. Ill keep using it, but when/if it ever brakes I doubt Ill buy another
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

sf120,

Looks like Lee is coming out with a new adapter/tray combination that may help.

Here's a picture and link to the tray adapter.

Here's a picture and link to the new primer tray.

Time will tell if this is an actual improvement :-)
s1120

Post by s1120 »

Interesting. It will be interesting to hear how they work. As I said, other then that I like it..
jekemi2005
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by jekemi2005 »

I have been using the Ergo primer for a few months. I had some issues with primers not flipping over easily due to the bumpy tray and primers being pushed up through the clear plastic cover right next to the steel plunger. I called Lee and sent a video of the issue. Lee's first response was that "I wasn't holding the Ergo primer at the right angle." However, I got another email from them a couple of days ago that said:
"For 2016 Lee has made a significant design change to the type of primer tray that is being used with all priming systems used by Lee. It is a folding tray and there will be just one size used for both large and small primers. As a result production has ceased on the old style trays and covers and they are no longer available. In about two weeks an upgrade to your Ergo prime will be available that will allow you to use the new folding tray with your Ergo Prime. This upgrade will cost $10.00 and it will be announced on the Lee web site when it is available."
Let me know if anyone on the forum is aware of this change or has used the new primer tray in beta-test. I guess that is why I like Lee Precision. When something is not quite right they take user feedback and fix it.

Return to “Off Press Priming”