Ergo-Prime

Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Ergo-Prime

Post by Fyodor »

Neted wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:Anybody using this primer yet?
Unfortunately you need the "hand" primer shell holders for this. The universal set I had purchased for the loadmaster doesn't fit
Well... I don't know why they have different shellholders, I guess it woul dhave been possible to design the tool that the standard hoder would fit. On the other hand, they're cheaper than the standard ones, and you need two anyway. But that has been that way all the time ;)

I'm looking forward to reading your reports, because mine will be ordered this week, but it will take quite some time to arrive.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I have one and not particularly fond of it. I guess it's ok if it fits your hand (after every squeeze I have to reposition it in my hand as it slides down) and mine jams up occasionally. Primers can get stuck in the "chute" from the holding area to the punch, and occasionally one can get crosswise on the punch. If you like hand primers the Lee unit is OK (I've had the same problems with a Hornady hand primer and an old style Lee unit)...
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

I recieved the "hand" shell holders last Thursday. I'm very happy with this unit. I've primed about 400 shells while reading e-mails and watching news. Little effort involved. A few errant primers, but that seemed to be caused by my not having the unit held at a sufficient angle to allow the next primer to feed properly. I would recomend this to someone wanting to prime off press.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've just received mine last week and put it immediately to use. No problems, very comfortable in my hand, I'm not experiencing the need to reindex my grip. All good. Plan to stop priming on my three Load Masters now that I have this product.
Michael
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I have the Lee Auto Prime XR & use it often.
By the looks of it, I would like this new one better.
Look's like it would be more comfortable in my hand,
& the finger squeeze, instead of the web of the thumb
squeeze IMHO, looks like it would be much easier
on these old joints. I also have to re-position mine
in my hand often, slips around a lot. Think I'll try one.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

By looks, it should be less stress on the fingers, and not having to jiggle the tray to get primer into the feed. I have three of the old style, can't wear em out plus spare parts. If they work that much better may have to get one.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Man, this thing should have had a kick-stand. Seriously...

Spent the weekend loading and shooting. Not quite sure what to do with EP when it is at rest as it tends to flop over. Had some issues with primers turning sideways in the "pre-feed" "cone" (whatever it is called). In fact, during one of these events I think that two got in there and popped the lid off. Luckily, I had just a couple primers left in the lineup and they stayed put.

Not disappointed, just getting use to it.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I have actually quite using anything for priming (If I'm priming as a single stage step) in favor of my Classic Turret with the Safety Prime. I can have a bin just off to the side with ready brass, another with the primed brass, and just keep feeding the Safety Prime with more primers. I don't have to touch them like I would the Ram Prime, it's far faster than any hand primer, and now I feel silly having bought the RCBS bench mounted primer tool as the Classic Turret does the exact same thing without having to feed the primer tubes on the RCBS unit. Want to switch calibers or primer sizes? It takes longer to read this post than it does to change out the Classic Turret. I continue to use the Classic Turret more than any press I own... :mrgreen:
powhs
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by powhs »

My auto prime handle broke. So I sent it in and purchased the ergo-prime. I wish I got the auto prime xr. Mine ergo constantly turns primers side ways, jams and kicks the cover off. I read the instructions. Tried different angles. Was using large pistol primers. The small primer unit may work correctly. If not I wonder if they will take it back?
moonie

Post by moonie »

I've had and used many auto primes over the years, I loved the tool. Once I ran out of spare parts I purchased the XR and I did like it alot, then I got the ergo, man, that thing rocks. Haven't used it in awhile since I got my LM setup with the newest priming systems although to be honest I haven't tried large primers on it yet as I load my 45acp/colt on my Pro1000 and haven't loaded 30-06 or 8mmx57 on it since I received the new parts.

I also have the auto prime II and really enjoy it as well but if I'm not priming on the progressives I'll usually just prime in the living room in front of the tv.

Return to “Off Press Priming”