Anybody using this primer yet?

Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Ergo-Prime

Post by Fyodor »

I have it on my order list that will be sent out next week... maybe I can tell you more after it arrived. Hopefully that will still be this year.

US companies don't send to Europe as long as they have orders from within...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Nope I can't help with any kind of answer on this new hand primer. The arthritis in my hands says no to hand priming.

I don't understand why they stoped making the Auto Prime II. Now there is simplicity and function in true Lee style. Thanks to Steve I just got a replacement for the one my son "borrowed". :roll: It set up in a minute and was as flawless as I remembered as I primed 50 45ACP. THANK YOU STEVE!
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Your welcome. I'm glad you got it. It needed some use.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

daboone wrote: I don't understand why they stoped making the Auto Prime II.
They still do sell the Ram Prime, which is basically an Auto Prime II without the primer feeder.

I guess, it's a safety issue. Even if I never heard about an exploding Auto Prime II, that is the only reason I see. I would like to have an Auto Prime II, but here in Germany you don't find any. Seems like they have never been common around here.

On the other hand German reloaders are a bit strange anyway, expecially regarding LEE products. Because we need a licens to onw small amounts of powder, and to reload, most reloaders feel "privileged" and only the best is good enough, and it has to be as expensive as possible. When you look on the equipment of German reloaders, you would think we only have benchresters here.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:
daboone wrote: I don't understand why they stoped making the Auto Prime II.
I guess, it's a safety issue. Even if I never heard about an exploding Auto Prime II, that is the only reason I see. I would like to have an Auto Prime II, but here in Germany you don't find any. Seems like they have never been common around here.
I'm not sure why they gave up on the AP II either. The only thing I've ever heard of is guys breaking the thumb lever. I've always lubed the contact parts with a little dab of petroleum jelly and not have had any issues. I know that my APII has had over a quarter of a million rounds pass through it. I found this in the Lee FAQ's:
Lee Precision wrote:The original Auto Prime with the round primer trays was discontinued in October 2010, and service parts are no longer available. The only option that we have available at this time would be to send us the original Auto Prime, and we can offer you the new Auto Prime XR or Ergo-Prime at half price. These are priming tools that replaced the original Auto Prime. The new tools have a stronger lever, no primer brand restriction, has square trays for ease in dumping in primers, and will work with your existing Auto Primer shell holders.

The cost of the Auto Prime XR is $12.99 + $6.00 shipping = $18.99, or the cost of the Ergo-Prime is $24.00 + $6.00 shipping = $30.00.

Please send the Auto Prime to us with a note stating you would like to exchange it for the new Auto Prime XR or Ergo-Prime, your complete billing and shipping address, payment and a daytime phone number.
They mention the lever and primer brand restriction. It is true what is said about the dump, you learn to dump them in a square tray so that you can move them back to their box. I use the top of a red two die box. In reality, Lee is doing what they have always done.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Michael,

please don't mix the AutoPrime and the AutoPrime II. The first is a hand priming tool, the latter is a press priming tool similar to the RamPrime, but with primer feeder from a flipper tray.

EDIT:
AutoPrime
AutoPrime II

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Michael,

please don't mix the AutoPrime and the AutoPrime II. The first is a hand priming tool, the latter is a press priming tool similar to the RamPrime, but with primer feeder from a flipper tray.

EDIT:
AutoPrime
AutoPrime II
Thanks, I was talking Auto Prime.
Michael
Neted
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Neted »

Ranch Dog wrote:Anybody using this primer yet?

I just recieved mine yesterday, with all the on press priming issues I've been having I thought this would at least get me up and running. I went to my workshop grabbed my primers and deprimed and cleaned shells, I was planning on watching the news while priming. Unfortunately you need the "hand" primer shell holders for this. The universal set I had purchased for the loadmaster doesn't fit. ....back to Amazon will try again Friday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mine should be here in a tomorrow or Friday.
Michael

Return to “Off Press Priming”