Bench prime to smooth?

Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Bench prime to smooth?

Post by Chickenthief »

I'm 200+ primers into this thing and can say this:
Unless i relese the handle at the bottom stroke and let it flip up, the thing does'nt feed primers much all.
And sometimes it does'nt despite. Then i have to knock the primer tray with a knuckle to feed.

I dug an old round tray out of the dungeons and it was even worse (if that is possible) and "choked up" in no time flat because of the smooth operation of this fine primer.

It works like a charm when it feeds, but i suspect it will be a dust collector on a shady shelf in no time flat and i will use my good old trusty Lee hand primer for the next 30 years (it's from 1986).

I read the manual, i saw the youtube films and still it operates so fine and elegantly that there is not enough disturbance to trickle primers from the tray by itself.

Maybe a pager motor is the ticket but that is somewhat out of Lees design?
Didnt they have this issue at all at anytime?

BTV: Dont even get me started on small primers going over the middle ridge and flipping any side but up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Bench prime to smooth?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, that is not good to hear and frustrating for you.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

After all the good reports I've read good thing about this Lee bench Primer I wonder if yours needs to go back to Lee for replacement?

I really like the older round trays. I use them on the long ago discontinued Auto Prime II. I think the APII is one of the best primer I've ever used. And I have the Ram Prime, Safety Prime, RCBS Bench Primer, the CO-AX bench and press primer and a 21st Century Hand primer to compare with APII.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I've got a couple thousand cased primed with my Bench Prime. First, I sit with the tool set so I can see if a primer is ready to be seated, not difficult, just look. I listen for the spring assy. on the underside of the tray to tap the tray, keeping the primers feeding. I also can tap the tray with my finger as I raise the lever and I get no hang ups that way. I guess I have a habit of pushing the lever up the last 1/2" or so, no big task, just do it out f habit as my tool has the O-ring that softens the lever travel. None of these methods are difficult to learn, none are arduous, none are "extra work"and not a "fix" for a "poorly designed tool" just how I use my Bench Prime. I can load my tray with 100 primers and stuff 100 cased (both large and small primers, both rifle and hand gun brass, and mostly mixed headstamps) non-stop...

But maybe it's because I've made my living for over 55 years mostly using hand tools and have a "feel" for how machines and tools are used... :roll:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

mikld wrote:But maybe it's because I've made my living for over 55 years mostly using hand tools and have a "feel" for how machines and tools are used... :roll:
The following comment is not about the OP statement but just what is in this quote.

I begrudgingly learned this hard way. The FEEL and the SOUNDS of operating any tool is half the battle of learning how to use/operate a new tool/gadget/equipment. I've been guilty of complaining about a tool many times only to find out the problem was me. :oops: One example this has been my problem with several powder measures. After I took the time to listen and gain a feel for the rotten no good PM it started to behave and taught me how to use it in a productively. I don't know why those dang things took so long to teach me. :roll:

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I agree sometime the manuals can't explain how it's best done. Sound and feel are a big partof reloading
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Not bragging about my experience, affinity for hand tools, but some people don't even know how to properly use a hammer or screwdriver. My Pa was a mechanic starting in the 30s up 'till his death in the '80s and he instructed me in the use and care of hand tools when I was old enough to walk. I have used mostly hand tools to keep beans on the table for at least 50 years (60 if you wanna count some "down time") and my tools are extensions of my brain. I guess I'm a "tool nut" and have 3.6 metric tons of tools, many designed for one purpose... :lol:

All my experience with Lee tools have been positive, but the same with all other reloading tool manufacturers. I had a couple "stutter steps" with some (like my Bench Prime) but when I looked at the tool and thought about what I was doing wrong, I modified my method/procedure and the tool worked like it was 'posed to. The only Lee tool I've not used successfully is/was the expanding/flaring stem in my 45 ACP reloading dies. The taper was just too short and had a "ridge" at the end of the taper that the case hit. Worked OK for jacketed bullets, but not enough flare for y cast bullets.

Whew, long winded OF ain't I. Not lecturing, ranting, or bragging, jes talkin' to some like minded fellers...
Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

I think i know why it didnt work!

In desperation i trimmed the locking lever thinking it was at fault jamming primers flowing down.
Well that went off like a fart in a diving helmet and i rummaged through the Lee spares/surplus case and found a primer tray just like it but different. The "old" one has no red print on the front and that worked like a charm. It just plain worked without a hitch.

So i set out to see if there is a difference between the two and what do you know, the "old" one has a ridge holding primers up just enough so they don't pack hard before they merge and slide down the end.

"new" style with red print:

"old" style without print:
Chickenthief

Post by Chickenthief »

Just got a mail from Lee.
It's the red one that does'nt work for me that is the "new and improved" version :'-(

Anyone got a non red printed version they want to sell?
Just the tray!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I've only got the old round trays. They work perfect with My APII.

Return to “Off Press Priming”