The way I currently prime

cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: The way I currently prime

Post by cj8281 »

My first priming tool was an RCBS priming set up on my RS2. Horribly slow. The shell holder snapped into the die and the priming pin base snapped into the ram. You had to place each primer in the little cup and then install it. My next purchase was the Lee Auto Prime. Still have it, still use it. Last Sunday I primed 1,000 9mm in about an hour and twenty minutes with it.
My second choice for hand priming would be my RCBS hand priming tool. The RCBS states that it uses the same shell holder and you don't have to buy any "special" shell holders for it. The problem is then you have to buy a second one if you are running your press at the same time. And the Lee's change out so much faster. Just push down the priming tray and out it slides, no disassembly required.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not sure how you use a press and a hand primer at the same time but.....Get one of these sets. They work in the RCBS primer tool as well as all presses unlike the shell holders that only work with the Lee hand primer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90197-LEE-UNIVE ... SwNnRYmSXl
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Here is a photo of my first priming tool loaded in my RS2. It works fine but is slow. I started out loading 38 spl and 357s so I was reloading hundreds at a time and this quickly became very time consuming. On one trip to Rocky's House of Guns to pick up some more powder and primers, I was complaining about how long it took to prime cases. Rocky, the guy who sold me the press, sold me the Lee AutoPrime. He told me that there were other priming set ups out there but the Lee would do the same job for less and work just as good or better than the others. I bought it, still have it, still use it. A few years ago, I did buy an RCBS hand primer because I feared wearing my little Lee out. Haven't used it that much as I found that changing shell holders in it is a PITA.

Last edited by cj8281 on 25 Apr 2017 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

This ----> https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2865/3341 ... afb5_z.jpg

Needs to be between the img tags. It's the URL pointer to the actual image instead of the URL of the slideshow page.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

What GG said. Here is the link you posted with the BBCode image tags.
[img][/img]

The link must end with an image extension; jpg, png, gif, for the code to insert the image. Notice how your link ends with the directory.
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Thanks for helping me figure that out, I don't know how long I was sitting there trying to get it to go.

That press priming set up is a lot like the priming set up that sometimes comes with the hand press. That picture above was the first time that priming unit had been installed since 1989. Not saying that it is a bad design, just saying that it is slow. The Lee AutoPrime is much faster and I like how I can feel the primers seat.
Bagarocks

Post by Bagarocks »

Mikld,
got one of those on the way nice to hear how well it's working.
I have been priming with the ram priming die. I hope the feel on the bench primer rivals ram die
timv
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by timv »

I don't like priming on the press(no feel), I started using the RCBS bench primer but switched over to the RCBS hand primer with the universal shell holder
I will prime on the press if I only need to prime a couple cases

Return to “Off Press Priming”