New Lee Bench Prime

mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

New Lee Bench Prime

Post by mikld »

I ordered a Lee Bench Prime on Saturday morning from Titan, and it arrived today about noon. I took it to my shop, unpacked it and read the directions (yes, I did!). I mounted it to a scrap 3/4" piece of wood and assembled it as per instructions. I put 60 Winchester primers in the tray and closed the tray (it folds in the middle) and lifted it to return to the press, spilling 14 primers. Had I remembered what I read I would have moved the slide lock lever into the right position and not spilled any primers. Replaced the primers and slid the slide lock to the "locked" position, inserted the tray into the tool, slid the slide lock to the "open" position.

I ran 60 Speer 9mm cases through the tool. The priming was easy and positive. I could feel the primers seating fully (the ram has about 3/16" more travel than the primer pocket end, so I know the primers were fully seated). Primers slid into place smoothly, with no "tight spots" or chatter. I refiled the tray and primed another 100 cases.

Of the 160 cases primed I had 3 OOPS!. Two had primers inserted sideways and one was backward. On two occasions I had to flick the tray with my finger to clear a "log jam" of primers. I believe these problems were partially caused by my method; I short stroked the handle a few times and wasn't watching the primer in the tray. I believe the tool (and me) will improve as I get used to it and correct my mistakes. So far the performance is better than my 3 hand priming tools (2 Lee and one Hornady). I'm gonna prime some more 9mm, do some 45 ACP, and try it out with some mil spec. 30-06 brass with various makes of primers.

I think this tools is well designed and made and I plan on using it a lot...

Addition 3/09/16; The OOPS! were caused by me. Tried several more and made sure I didn't "short stroke" the handle. Problem gone...
Last edited by mikld on 09 Mar 2016 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: New Lee Bench Prime

Post by Fyodor »

Thanks for your report. I'm interested in how this item works, even if I have only little use for a bench primer system.

I guess (haven't seen it yet), that the primer seperating mechnism is the same as in the ergo prime. That is quite reliably, but sensitive to short stroking. It will flip primers if you do. So if they use the same mechanism, that in fact is the reason, and should work fine if you pay attention to not short stroking.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Deleted User 1404

Post by Deleted User 1404 »

I got one yesterday. Used it all day today. I am throwing mine in the trash. Got tired of dumping primers all over, failure to feed, sideways primers and jam ups. Not worth the postage to return it.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

This not good a bad report on a new Lee product.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

I appreciated both good and bad reports on any products. It helps in my decision making on purchases.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Number6 wrote:I got one yesterday. Used it all day today. I am throwing mine in the trash. Got tired of dumping primers all over, failure to feed, sideways primers and jam ups. Not worth the postage to return it.
Before you toss it read this.
http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1598
mikld

Post by mikld »

Number6 wrote:I got one yesterday. Used it all day today. I am throwing mine in the trash. Got tired of dumping primers all over, failure to feed, sideways primers and jam ups. Not worth the postage to return it.
First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool (JK, my Pa always said that when I said "can't use this thing, it don't work"). The instructions on where the sliding lock positioning will tell you how to cure your spilling primers. Also in the instructions it says "Lift lever against rubber up-stop to feed a new primer into the elevator." in two different places which will eliminate any sideways or upside down primers.

Real men do read instructions... :mrgreen:
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Unfortunately my bench primer is green. I have the RCBS auto prime and have for years and yes you do have to fill tubes, but as long as you keep the hair pin in the other end you don't spill primers. I cant say as I ever had one up side down or side ways either.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld

Post by mikld »

Addendum, 3/09/16; Primed some 30-06 military cases and some R-P cases yesterday. First 20 were mixed headstamp military, prepped (sized, trimmed, pockets de-crimped, cleaned) and used Wolf LR primers, not my favorite priming task (Wolf+mil. spec. brass). Primer insertion was much more difficult/stiff than hand gun priming. Got a couple "crushed" primers, fully seated but a bit "flattened". Switched to Remington LR primers, and priming was easier, much more positive, but still a little rough. Switched to R-P brass (twice fired in my Garand) and priming with Remington primers. Smooth, easy priming. All fed positively.

I have found that the unit would work better if solidly mounted on a bench. My tool is mounted to a piece of board, 3/4" but too light so I put a 20 lb ingot on it to keep it from moving. I'll fabricate a solid mount similar to how I use my "priming/bullet sizing press". Still this is the only "down side" that I've found for my new Lee Bench Prime...
Deleted User 1404

Post by Deleted User 1404 »

mikld wrote:
First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool (JK, my Pa always said that when I said "can't use this thing, it don't work"). The instructions on where the sliding lock positioning will tell you how to cure your spilling primers. Also in the instructions it says "Lift lever against rubber up-stop to feed a new primer into the elevator." in two different places which will eliminate any sideways or upside down primers.

Real men do read instructions... :mrgreen:
I did read the instructions, I tried CCI and Winchester primers, the primers hang in the folding container, and the feed tube, of the feed tube jams you are unable to force the lock / on / open slider because primers block it. It must be turned up side down so the primers will clear the feed path.

Return to “Off Press Priming”