mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: New Lee Bench Prime

Post by mikld »

Number6 wrote:
mikld wrote:
Number6 wrote:I got one yesterday. Used it all day today. I am throwing mine in the trash. Got tired of dumping primers all over, failure to feed, sideways primers and jam ups. Not worth the postage to return it.
First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool (JK, my Pa always said that when I said "can't use this thing, it don't work"). The instructions on where the sliding lock positioning will tell you how to cure your spilling primers. Also in the instructions it says "Lift lever against rubber up-stop to feed a new primer into the elevator." in two different places which will eliminate any sideways or upside down primers.

Real men do read instructions... :mrgreen:
I did read the instructions, I tried CCI and Winchester primers, the primers hang in the folding container, and the feed tube, of the feed tube jams you are unable to force the lock / on / open slider because primers block it. It must be turned up side down so the primers will clear the feed path.
Yep, funny. I had zero problems. I only tried Winchester, Wolf, and Remington primers and used the tool like the instructions said to. The sliding lock is a bit stiff, but I'm a bit bigger than the tray so it wasn't a big deal. Perhaps it's because I've used hand tools all my life to make a living (50+ years machinist /mechanic) and know how to read directions... :mrgreen:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I gotta be let into this inside joke. I hope that's what this is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Number6 wrote:I got one yesterday. Used it all day today. I am throwing mine in the trash. Got tired of dumping primers all over, failure to feed, sideways primers and jam ups. Not worth the postage to return it.

Are the problems you're having because of the Priming unit itself or the primer tray? The tray does have three positions on the "locking tab". I had a bit of trouble with the new trays when I first got them to replace my old round trays and was really disappointed (till' I figured this out :oops: ) Also as mikld said, you have to "lift" the handle all the way up to feed a new primer completely into the unit. I read a couple reviews from others where they had broke part of the feed mechanism because of this. I also read where Lee had already made some changes to help with this issue. I haven't seen one yet so this is all second hand info from me. Sometimes we just have to take a second look at things. :geek:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've got a bunch on the way from Lee, feed trays, to replace those in use.
Michael
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by buckeye43210 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've got a bunch on the way from Lee, feed trays, to replace those in use.
Please let us know how the new trays work out for you. I'm thinking about replacing my round primer trays on my existing equipment and am looking forward to the convenience factor of using square primer trays with square primer boxes if these new primer trays are any good.

Return to “Off Press Priming”