Newbie primed before sizing... QUESTION

Us2
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Newbie primed before sizing... QUESTION

Post by Us2 »

As I was accumulating my reloading equipment I got my hand primer first. I wanted to try it out and had 40 rounds primed and then realized the new brass had not been sized or flared. I put it into a little box and forgot about it. I discovered it yesterday. My question is.... can I flare this brass and load it for a revolver or will it cause problems/be dangerous?
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Newbie primed before sizing... QUESTION

Post by Macd »

Try seating a bullet in the case by hand. You should see pretty quickly if cases need sizing. Put a case in the cylinder. If it fits, flare and load a round. Try it in the cylinder again. Worse that can happen is you have to go back and size the lot and pull the bullet out of the loaded round. BTW I deprime live primers with a single stage press. Just don't jerk the handle. Alternatively you can remove the decapping pin in your sizer and size brass.
Us2

Post by Us2 »

Thanks!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Take the depriming pin out of the sizing die and size them. Then flare the case mouth whenever you want.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've done both of the above depending on the situation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I'm in the "pull the decapping stem and resize" camp. I would want to know the condition of the case (proper size/neck tension) and it's really no big deal, and a positive step for a new reloader. While you could just resize carefully punching out primers, you'd have to reprime them. Priming 40 cases may be fun, more experience for you so either way is OK...
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Green Frog »

These days I tend to take a batch of one caliber, wipe off any loose debris, then use a TC FL die to decap and size simultaneously. If I somehow found myself in thOP’s situation, I would do as others have advised, remove the decapping stem from my FL die and run them through. No harm, no foul, and the primers won’t care. From there on, I’m back in my normal routine of bell, charge, insert bullet, seat, and crimp (roll or taper). Easy peasy!

Froggie
mikld

Post by mikld »

Anyway, don't fret about a minor mistake. You caught the faux pas. I reloaded my first 38 Special in 1969, and over the years I have primed unsized brass and even charged cases that had no primer (OOPS!!). But the important thing is not perfection, but establishing consistent safery measure from the start (double check everything (components and methods)...

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

y'all just made me realize .... I don't even need the de-capping pins in my sizing dies. I de-prime everything with a Lee Universal de-priming die before soaking and then running through the little antique (1983) ultrasonic cleaner.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Off Press Priming”