My Primers Arrived

jlhog
My Press Choice: Single Stage

My Primers Arrived

Post by jlhog »

And so I proceeded to prime some 45 acp brass. The primers went in well and seem to be seated properly, but. I am using the Lee Auto Prime (90230) and the handle sticks in the up position (the ram) sometimes. I seat the primer and need to release with slight pressure on the handle to get it back down. I have taken it apart and cleaned with rubbing alcohol and slightly oiled the parts the make contact, but not much difference. Will this get better with use? It is new and the first time using it.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: My Primers Arrived

Post by Macd »

It should work correctly without sticking or binding. It is important not to cam over the handle. When it feels like the primer is seated, stop and check out the primer.. After awhile you will get familiar with the feel of the primer bottoming out in the pocket. Continuing to squeeze after that is both hard pn the tool and risks crushing the priming compound.
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I did some more investigating. It only does this with a shell holder in place. I tried 3 different shell holders and the all make it stick. There is a plastic part the pushes up thru the shell holder and hopefully this will wear in soon. I am pretty sure I am not trying to overwork it as I can push the handle with slight pressure (no primer) and it will still stick.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Perhaps hone/ream/drill center hole of shell holder?
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

See if cleaning sticking areas with a solvent to remove all lubrication helps. If the tolerances are tight lube simply makes them tighter. You can also put a line around plastic piece with a fine tip maker and after some use see if it indicates where the piece is sticking in shell holder.
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

Thanks for the tips. I will try those ideas. It is not a big issue for a while as I just realized Lee does not recommend using Federal primers in the Auto Prime. Can you guess what I just received 1000 of? I will use the Ram Prime for now, but still want the Auto Prime to work correctly.
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

Nothing has worked. I contacted Lee and sent them a short video and they will ship me two new primer adapters. (Large and Small) I really don't think that will help as it is hard to believe both of mine are bad. They know more than me I hope....
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I received the new primer adapters today. The handle still sticks. Lee has asked me to return my Autoprime so they can look at it and get it corrected. To be continued!!!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Keep us posted.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've always wondered about the advise concerning Federal primers. SAMMI specs are specs and so what's the difference with the Federal. At one time some of my BPCR friends used them exclusively because they were said to be "hotter". Some where in all the reading I seem to recall that CCI magnum primers have taken over that crown. Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Off Press Priming”