Old Lee screw in primmer shell holders

Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Old Lee screw in primmer shell holders

Post by Green Frog »

Poppy42, did you ever find your M shell holder? I know I’ve got the one I use for my 9mms, but I could check to see what’s in my trading stock... I’m looking for an EE size for 44-40.

Froggie
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

Poppy42 wrote:I have a couple old Lee hand primers, the kind that requires screw in shell holders. Great primers, for small volume reloading, as you have to place one primmer in the tool at a time. I keep mine in my bug out bag along with my lead loaders, my Lee hand press, and my Lyman 310 tools. Well I was going through my stuff today and it seems I have lost missed placed or never had( I can’t remember) The one to load 9 mm, the one marked M . My question is anybody have one of these or know where I might be able to purchase one? It’s not like I can ask Lee they haven’t made these in years. I appreciate any help suggestions anybody has.
Thanks,
Poppy42
Does anyone know whether Poppy42 is still around? He listed himself as being in Virginia (me too) and I found the M shell holder in my spare parts box. I’m still looking for a EE to prime my 44-40s. I’d love to find someone who has these or other extras and would like to do some swapping. :mrgreen:

Froggie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Green Frog wrote: I’d love to find someone who has these or other extras and would like to do some swapping.
There is a swap/sell section on this site for that sort of thing but it is not one of the main reasons people come to the website. Try a WTB/WTT topic there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
ireload2
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by ireload2 »

I get new shell holders and replacement parts on ebay. Just expect to pay premium prices most of the time. I have been using the old style for about 50 years.
Green Frog

Post by Green Frog »

I have long wondered about the timing of the introduction for these handy priming tools with their screw in shell holders, and while browsing other threads found this old catalog page;

https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=26

The discussion on the thread leads on to believe the catalog came from the late '60s, and since there was a completely developed set of shell holders available at that time, the unit was pretty well perfected well back into the Richard Lee era. As Richard left the original company the priming tool was included in the new "Zero Error" target set and the "Unitized" loader sets as well, even as Lee Custom was in its death throes and changed its name to Mequon. It wasn't until later that the Lee Precision versions emerged as the "Auto Prime." Since Richard Lee did so much of the engineering in the early iteration of the old company, I wonder whether he had a hand in developing that priming tool.

Froggie

Return to “Off Press Priming”