Reloading bench much progress made

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Reloading bench much progress made

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I thought being new here there may be some benefit to those starting out to see how I'm sitting up my compact reloading bench in my home office. I plan on returning to this post as I put together my bench until it is finished. Any and all comments suggestions advice are welcome as this is a learning experience for me also.

First let's start with the bench itself. It is a pre-engineered woodworking bench from Home Depot that I am repurposing. I intended to use this bench for my reloading and also my firearm cleaning station. As a cleaning station it would be fine but as a reloading station I wanted it firmer and less flexible and so I put in additional cross-bracing underneath and we'll be putting a hardwood plate on top to mount the Lee quick detach mounting plate to. The Press is ordered and is a cam lock Pro Progressive. While the bench is all Hardwood the top is only 3/4 in so I'll be adding a 3/4 inch plate to Beef It Up. There are bench dog holes in the top so I'll be covering the top with a mat when reloading or working on a firearm . I will be adding shelving above and also lighting. Storage will be added separately on the opposite wall.

This is the beginning of a series to be posted the same thread as I progress. . The dimensions of the bench 51 in Long 24 in deep 33 in high and at the moment weighs about 330 lb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shooterrick2020 on 11 Apr 2020 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reloading bench progression beginning to end

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good work! I can't wait to see the "find the bench" picture, the one with all the reloading debris on it!
Michael
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Much is on order. With the world as it is not sure when things will get here but I've got what I believe is a very comprehensive list of equipment on its way as well as white utility shelving to go above the bench and Lowe's plastic storage bins that mount on a rail. I'm going to be reloading 4 calibers and have Lee Deluxe dies on order also along with three sets of the cam lock bushings so I can just lock everything in. I have the 45 ACP the 9 m m and the 38 Special 357 dies ordered. Those are the calibers I shoot along with 22 long rifle and 22 TCM which I am playing with.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Good deal, it makes me really glad to hear of someone " coming back "
to a bench. I had to back away a few years ago due to a mind bender
medical issue. To tell you the truth, I just couldn't stand not loading
I am also 62 & started pounding out 38 special with an old
Lee Loader & then an old Herters press, that was about 54 years ago now.
One good thing, with your previous experience, while setting up you will
be able to side step the classic rookie pit falls.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Hopefully I can sidestep a few of those pitfalls from memory it's been a long time.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

IMG_20200411_100744143_MP_compress29.jpg
Made good progress today. Installed wire shelving with three standards which should rate them for 300 lb. I like these because they don't hold dust speak of and easily wipe off. And if you're concerned of smaller items falling through they will easily handle a standard 16 in Shelf placed on top. The small parts bins since I don't have racks 4 several sets of dies will first serve that purpose organized by caliber and then the others for whatever my needs are. I have eight more of those small bins if I need to add more. Also there is a 8 Outlet 15 amp electrical strip plan but not arrived yet.

The one photo shows a nice piece of maple three-quarter inch but I'm going to use to reinforce the bench top underneath the Press if the Lee mounting plate will fit on it. It is 7 x 12 so if anyone has that answer I'm appreciative. The plan is 2 wood glue and screw it to the bench top which is also three-quarter inch and two light to handle a press in my opinion so I need to reinforce it. It will span the main leg brace that runs the depth of the bench top making an inch and a half total and I hope it will spread the stress out sufficiently.

As always all comments suggestions and advice appreciated.
On edit the answer to the question I asked above is on the Lee website.

Duh: . The answer to the question I asked above is available on the Lee website as well as their template
for mounting.

On edit photo added a riser plate glued and screwed other photos below of shelving and storage bins. If you're not a woodworker take care 2 sand and wipe off both surfaces being glued to each other and use wood glue not white Elmer's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”