My soon to be replaced bench

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

My soon to be replaced bench

Post by Et2ss »

Here's a pic of my bench that I built some years ago in my garage. It's pretty well bomb proof. I think I could park my GoldWing on there without any stress to the bench whatsoever.

I built it from this plan; Reloading Bench

I stretched it out in length to a full sheet of 3/4" MDF (96") that I used for the top. Never did get around to building the top shelves.

Unfortunately it's since gotten loaded up with all of my shop tools (vise, drill press, bench grinder, router table, band saw, scroll saw, and miscellaneous debris, to where my reloading and casting was relegated to a small corner of the bench. I am now in the process of re arranging my gun room in the basement to where I can set up an 'L' shaped set up in the corner, maybe 6' x 4' X 24" deep, using some counter tops I found in storage at work. I'll just have to get the lumber, and time, to finish it out.
Last edited by Et2ss on 08 Dec 2018 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: My soon to replaced bench

Post by farmerjim »

I have that same smoker. I use it for most of the meat that I cook.
Take us a picture when the bench is all set up.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Et2ss wrote: Image

Unfortunately it's since gotten loaded up with all of my shop tools (vise, drill press, bench grinder, router table, band saw, scroll saw, and miscellaneous debris, to where my reloading and casting was relegated to a small corner of the bench.
That's a nice bench you built. Make sure you post your new one when you get it finished. New benches create new ideas for us and are good to see how others do things.

Isn't it funny (or not) how benches seem to acquire "stuff". I have a bench out in my shop "somewhere", I know the general location but haven't actually seen it in quite some time. There's a bunch of "stuff" over by my toolbox though, it might be in there somewhere....:lol:
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

horseman wrote: Isn't it funny (or not) how benches seem to acquire "stuff"
Ain't that the absolute truth ???
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

farmerjim wrote:I have that same smoker. I use it for most of the meat that I cook.
Take us a picture when the bench is all set up.

Mine mostly got used as a steam box for rust bluing, and a cure box for firearm finishes. I did use it a couple of times to smoke some bluegills though :lol:
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

horseman wrote: That's a nice bench you built. Make sure you post your new one when you get it finished.
Well it turns out it's going to be delayed even longer.

When cleaning out the corner that I want to build it in, after moving 2 shelving units, I've discovered cracks in the mortar joints between the cinder blocks in the wall, where water has come in and down into the french drain. :?

I'm going to have to clean it up, patch them the best I can, and repaint before I go running tap-cons into it for the mounting. Then in the spring I'm going to have to excavate outside and repair it form there. Oh joy
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: My soon to be replaced bench

Post by daboone »

Spent most of yesterday looking for a set of screwdrivers due to a bench buried in "stuff".. Never did find them but as I went to bed last night looking at the now organized (temporally) bench I realized I left them at LarryW house. He's been working on a Flintlock build that got away from me.

I believe benches are magnetic attracting anything not nailed down. :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

daboone wrote:Spent most of yesterday looking for a set of screwdrivers due to a bench buried in "stuff".. Never did find them but as I went to bed last night looking at the now organized (temporally) bench I realized I left them at LarryW house. He's been working on a Flintlock build that got away from me.

I am a hoarder. I have had widgets so long I forget what they came from but I just can't let myself give them the toss. So my tools are organized but I have spent hours searching for that 45 degree angle, round leg square top gizmo I am sure I put away somewhere that will maybe but maybe not be just the thing I need to fix the broken toy the grandson brought over. I close my eyes and can see it lying in the box or drawer or perhaps it was a can and maybe it was the previous house. I will be in the middle of something and think of a new place it could be and off I go to look. Can't ruin the "Poppy" can fix anything rep with the grandson eh?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Macd wrote:
daboone wrote:Spent most of yesterday looking for a set of screwdrivers due to a bench buried in "stuff".. Never did find them but as I went to bed last night looking at the now organized (temporally) bench I realized I left them at LarryW house. He's been working on a Flintlock build that got away from me.

I am a hoarder. I have had widgets so long I forget what they came from but I just can't let myself give them the toss. So my tools are organized but I have spent hours searching for that 45 degree angle, round leg square top gizmo I am sure I put away somewhere that will maybe but maybe not be just the thing I need to fix the broken toy the grandson brought over. I close my eyes and can see it lying in the box or drawer or perhaps it was a can and maybe it was the previous house. I will be in the middle of something and think of a new place it could be and off I go to look. Can't ruin the "Poppy" can fix anything rep with the grandson eh?

I AM NOT A HOARDER......I just have a lot of "things"/"stuff" that may someday come in handy.... :lol: daBoone I've heard about that "flintlock build".....be interesting to be a fly on the wall in Larry's room when he's working on it....probably learn some "new" words.... :P
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I too am the fix-it guy. Between that and organizing Christmas gifts, my bench is under siege and hardly reachable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”