My new toy, Safety Powder Scale

This is the only scale that can never get out of adjustment. Sensitive and readable to 1/20 grain.
Vidor
My Press Choice: Single Stage

My new toy, Safety Powder Scale

Post by Vidor »

Hello, for some strange reason that I cannot understand in Spain analog scales are not well regarded or people discredit them preferring digital ones.

There is a lot of second-hand market and even of people who sell it without having released them and that came to them in some kit.

I have always liked analog and retro things so taking advantage of one of these sales I got a Lee Safety Powder Scale for $ 19.92 / € 18 with shipping included. New are around $ 55 / € 50 in Spain.

Surely it makes a nice couple with my yellow dippers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please be patient with me, my English is very bad and sometimes I use a translator.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: My new toy, Safety Powder Scale

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've used mine for a very long time and would not replace it with another. I have a post or topic on the forum about using an allen wrench or something similar under the pan to stop any oscillations. It works.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

I'm seeing it but I don't understand very well how it works or what to do
Please be patient with me, my English is very bad and sometimes I use a translator.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

The one I got in the kit form with my LCT was sold for $18 shipped on eBay which means I got $5 for it and that seems like a steal of a deal for me. This was before I knew about the trick above. Da Vincci would have marveled at the perpetual motion machine that is a Lee scale.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I love mine and use it every time I load cartridges. I have 2 digital scales, one is almost awful unless weighing something heavy, the other is good for weighing bullets and double checking powder charges so you know your Lee scale is correct(checking after weighing on the Lee scale to re-assure me periodically because I am paranoid sometimes) but wanders too much and is not accurate enough for me to trust for weighing powder for pistols or rifles. When the digital scale goes up and down .2 or won't consistently show the same weight for the same charge repeatedly, I don't trust it. I use dial calipers too and love them. The Lee powder scale is accurate and consistent. I bought mine before I had any other reloading equipment. It was $20 at a pawn shop, new in box. You just have to level it, set it correctly and read it consistently and correctly. I love it. No batteries required.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

I have a Lyman Gen 6 digital scale that I bought 5 months ago, new cost me approximately € 265 / $ 293 and I will not have been able to reload 500 cartridges of 9mm. I am very tempted to exchange it for a lubricator / recalibrate since I make my own bullets.
JohnnyEnfield wrote:You just have to level it, set it correctly and read it consistently and correctly. I love it. No batteries required.
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My first scale in 1967 was a Webster with the bottle of motor oil to damp it. Used it into the late 80s and still have it on the shelf. Use a RCBS 505 and trust it enough that I'm using it to check my Gen 6 for accuracy and consistency. Most any scale you set up and use properly will get the job done safely,

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Could you show a picture of that handmade scale? I love DIY things.

Another thing, would someone do me the huge favor of explaining that modification to the scale? The video has no subtitles and my level of English is low. Guys,

I feel the inconvenience that the difference in language and I produce
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

He is laying an Allen key/wrench under the powder pan. That is all he is doing in that picture/explanation. He takes a metal Allen wrench and places it under the area where the pan goes up and down. He says the wrench is not magnetic. I have seen people put a small magnet under there as well (under the pan area). I tried the magnet in the past and decided to just use it like it was, without anything on the bench, under the pan. The rate of oscillation as the pan moves up and down can be slowed under the right circumstance. So on the bench top or table place an Allen key/wrench small enough to fit and not interfere with the pan going up and down. It seems to help slow the pan down so it settles faster and does not keep moving.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Safety Powder Scale”