Safety Scale Use

This is the only scale that can never get out of adjustment. Sensitive and readable to 1/20 grain.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Safety Scale Use

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:RD I liked the idea so much just had to figure a way to mark half and full grain like you did.

Zeroed the scale and made it level.
Set the scale to .5 grains.
Let it settle and used a tooth pick and black paint to mark where the pointer was.
Cut a tooth pick until it weighed .5 grains.
Reset the scale to zero and added cut up tooth pick, marked upper .5 grains.
Repeat for marking 1 grain.

This would never hold up for a lab and Rocket Science but if you want to know how close you are it's perfect.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Just out of curiosity, do the marks on your scale hold the same relationship or position as mine do?

Very similar to yours RD. If I can get a close up with my camera I'll post it but my phone takes crappy close ups. Don't use the camera much so not sure how to do close ups.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Hope this works?!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Je suis Charlie
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I believe it's called a "Safety Scale" because you can set a desired weight and lock it in. I have a few beam scales and none except the Lee will "lock in" a setting. My Lyman/Ohaus D5 has a poise for 1.0 gr. of thin metal that rides in notches on the beam. If the pan is removed quickly, the poise will/can jump notches, changing the weight (once I had to dump about 50, .44 Magnum charged cases because I didn't know when the weight changed).
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Used the Safety Scale to load 50 cat sneeze loads yesterday. Set the scale for 3.5 and was surprised at how close the .3 dipper came to to 3.5 grains. The pointer was just a hair under the balance point.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Safety Powder Scale”