Bullet Feeder

All Lee Precision and aftermarket press accessories parts.
Rhyno7x
My Press Choice: Turret

Bullet Feeder

Post by Rhyno7x »

Alright fellas. I need some sage wisdom. I recently equipped a Lee Bullet Feeder for my 9mm setup. Used it for the first time last weekend, and in just 64 rounds it dumped at least half the tube in the floor 4 times. It's amazing when it works, and it REALLY saves a lot of time...when it works. I believe what's happening is the tube is just big enough that the bullets are allowed to sit offset on one another rather than sitting flush, and that creates a problem when a bullet drops down into the fingers. Your first bullet will drop in, but if its buddy up above it is offset at the right angle, rather than staying in line where it belongs, it slips past the fingers, falls into the floor, and triggers a domino effect for the remainder of the tube. I contacted Lee, and this is the first time I've ever been frustrated with them. They basically told me I need to change to flat nose, rather than round and I won't have any more issues. They also essentially said it is what it is, some bullets work better than others. I'm trying to figure something out to force the rounds to sit flush. I've talked to a few people about it. Somebody suggested a set screw to limit the flow, but I'm still looking at options. Maybe sleeve the tube up a bit, but with what? Find another, smaller tube that will work? What do you guys think? Has anybody else had this issue? I really like the idea of this feeder, and I really don't want to abandon it for something else. Help!
Tom Myers
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Bullet Feeder

Post by Tom Myers »

Rhyno7x,

The bullet feeder options include three different lengths of dies for the 9mm bullet. If the cutout in your die is longer than necessary, the bullets will misalign and not fall square onto the bottom of the cutout.
These dies are available from Lee with 3 cutout lengths of.

Click on links

Up to 0.46" long

From 0.47" to 0.60" long

From 0.61" to 0.75" long.

The Lee bullet feeder multi-tube adapter kit comes with small tubes that may be inserted into the larger tubes. You can purchase these as parts at this link.

Small tubes

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Tom Myers on 24 May 2019 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyno7x

Post by Rhyno7x »

Tom, I have the correct components. I have the 9mm tube, and I have the largest of the cut outs as per my bullet size. I'm thinking about ordering the next size down since I just barely fit into the largest category, but I'm not sure if that would benefit me. I'm afraid since I'm above specs for that middle size, my bullets will be too tall and it won't work at all. I'm at a loss at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm going to do moving forward. I really appreciate your input!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I want to make sure you are using the tubes correctly. If you bought the complete Bullet Feeder Kit, there should be both large (#BF3489) and small tubes (#BF3490) in the kit. They are used together. I shoot cast, that is a .358" bullet I'm slipping into the smaller tube, and it still has a bit of play.

As long as the base of the bullet is flat, the feeders should work. That has been my experience.

Concerning the die, yes you can cut back the opening to suit your needs, I did that to allow my 30 Carbine set up to use the feeders. The die is easy to cut back with the flat file.

As a note, the current 30 Carbine die will not allow the use of the feeders as the die base is now manufactured with the flat, rifle die, style base. I've been reloading the 30 Carbine a long time, and the older bullet seating dies used the tapered handgun die base made specifically for bullet feeder use.
Michael
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

Rhyno7x,

The dies are easily customized to a length that will fit your bullet length. Just get the next smallest size and use a flat file to remove enough metal at the top of the cutout to allow your bullet to slide forward.

If you do not wish to do the work yourself, I cannot say for sure but I believe that Lee will make a custom length and diameter die to exactly fit your bullet
Rhyno7x

Post by Rhyno7x »

@ RanchDog, I have both tubes inserted. Everything is set up correctly. It works flawlessly until it doesn't. I just got done playing with it some more. Finished the box I was working on. In 65 rounds it spilled on me 3 times. I was trying to be careful and gently pull the handle back until the next bullet dropped, then continue my stroke. It seemed to do pretty well for a while. Between you and Tom both talking about going down a size on the die and trimming to fit, I think that's what I'll try. I'll get a hold of Lee and see about getting it. I'm just barely within the requirements for the large die, so I'm sure it won't take much modifying to make the next size down fit. I would believe that if there's only clearance enough for the one bullet to drop, the rest should stay where they belong. Here's hoping problem solved! Thanks a lot guys, y'all are awesome!
Tom Myers

Post by Tom Myers »

Rhyno7x,

Your statement "It works flawlessly until it doesn't" got me to thinking that something changes to make the glitch. Are you using plain base bullets? If there is no gas check on the bullet base, there is the possibility that, during the casting process, the sprue plate, instead of cutting cleanly, will occasionally make either a divot or a bump on a bullet base. If you are using round nose or pointed bullets, the nose could hang up in the divot or bump in the base of the upper bullet and flip the bullet backwards as the fingers try to move the bullet forward.
It's possible that is what the person at Lee was seeing as the reason for the problem with the suggestion that you use flat nosed bullets..
If that is indeed what is happening, a custom fit die should help with the problem.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another question, if you don't mind. Is the bullet being stripped out of the fingers as it moves forward? Or, once the bullet secure in the fingers and has moved forward the others drop. I guess I'm asking specifically as to what happens to the bullet sitting ready in the die; does it move out of the die successfully or does an upset put things in motion?
Michael
Rhyno7x

Post by Rhyno7x »

I’m using hard cast round nose. Because they’re cast, before I slip one in the tube, I always check for imperfections. They all seem perfectly flat to me. I’ve never caught a bad one, and I’ve been using them for years.
When the fingers grab a bullet, it stays in the fingers until it’s seated. That’s not an issue at all. What’s happening is because they’re RN’s, and there’s so much room in the die (allows up to .75” and I’m using .61”) and the RN’s all stack at various angles inside the tube, if the next bullet in line doesn’t fall straight down, there’s plenty of room for a spill from the remainder of the tube. Because the rounds can’t stack flush in the tube, it’s pretty much luck of the draw whether it drops as it should, or it falls on its side to allow the spill. I’ll play with it again tomorrow and see if I can post some pictures for you guys of what I’m seeing for clarification.
I’ve ordered the next size down for the die per y’all’s suggestion as well as another friend of mine. It fits up to .60” so it will take very little filing for my .61’s to fit, and leave no gap for other bullets to fall, hopefully. I’m confident this will fix the issue. At the very least, it has to help significantly. Once the remaining 1500 RN’s I have left are loaded, I’ll swap to flats and that should leave even less room for error.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Rhyno7x wrote:...I’ve ordered the next size down for the die per y’all’s suggestion as well as another friend of mine. It fits up to .60” so it will take very little filing for my .61’s to fit, and leave no gap for other bullets to fall, hopefully. I’m confident this will fix the issue...
Me too. +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Press Accessories & Parts”