Auto Drum again and again and....

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Shooter74
My Press Choice: Turret

Auto Drum again and again and....

Post by Shooter74 »

Suffering from autodrumitis, tried all the fixes, Dawn, graphite, gear grease, dryer sheets, nothing seems to help still getting 5.4 to 5.9 grs for a target of 5.7 using Unique, I know Unique is difficult to work with but was expecting less margin than this. Someone mentioned a baffle, how do the fit into the equation and where are they purchased from?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Auto Drum again and again and....

Post by GasGuzzler »

One of my reasons to not like Unique. I worked on my drum a bit and posted some of the teething issues but I ended up liking it once I got the feel of it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The baffle fits in the hopper and the idea is to keep a consistent load of powder on the drum. They do work if designed correctly. I've had one in my Lyman 55 for years. I've only recently started using Unique for some 45/70 loads. I had very consistent throws using my Lyman Gen6 dispenser.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

More testing today, the closest I can get to the 5.5gr target is +/- .2, think I’m going for a different powder
az2vet

Post by az2vet »

I use an RCBS powder baffle in my autodrum. It seems to help.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

What press are you using Shooter? I think the movement of the functions of a press can influence the variation. That variation seems tighter on my Load-Master than on my Turret. There is less movement on the L-M, and in that the turret head is fixed, the bottle is not influenced by the effect of rotation. I have been using two different baffles; I have not noticed a difference in them: I'm using Unique with my Hi-Point 4595 with a similar charge. I would say, I don't check every load, that it is dropping about the same as you are experiencing. One thing I've learned about the Unique over the years, I shot a lot of chronograph data with it, is that the variation does not matter. The powder is what it is, and even with samples dropped at the exact same grain weight, the results are not any better than a dropped run of ammunition shot at the same time.
Myself above wrote: I have been using two different baffles...
Over the long run, I don't think a baffle matters if you are using a powder that considered dispensing in its design. It is more about the powder vs. the press's action or movement. That's my opinion. With the change to the new bottle system, the baffles I have will not fit them. That doesn't bother me because I have been focusing on powders that flow.

Hodgdon's Universal has replaced any application where I was using Unique. It's bulk density & specific gravity is close, but it is designed to meter well.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Michael
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

Ranch, I am using the Classic Turrett Press, I sampled by operating the press without advancing the turret after 5 drops I measured the sixth throw, additionally I sampled by operating the press to advance the turrett for each sample being diligent to run in a smooth consistent motion,, also I tried pausing at the top of the fill to give the powder a second to drop, the results remain the same. The only thing I did not do was to lap the drum to the housing but that sounds like overkill to me, time to move to a new powder and if Universal meters well for you I may give it a try or I may just return to my auto disc with the charge bar.
Thanks for your help!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I did not have very good luck (performance) out of the first on I bought but that was early on when they first came out. Left a bad after taste for me. But after reading all the success everyone seemed to be having I bought another one a short while back to give it another go around. Well, to make a long story short (and I usually like to make everything a long story) about an hour ago I boxed it up to send back to Lee. If it ain't fixed when it gets back I'm going to send it to Larryw and let it aggravate him. I hate to say it on this forum that I really like and enjoy but I'm about done with Lee stuff. Of course I do have an APP press coming next week :lol: so maybe not quite done yet....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:Well, to make a long story short (and I usually like to make everything a long story) about an hour ago I boxed it up to send back to Lee. If it ain't fixed when it gets back I'm going to send it to Larryw and let it aggravate him.
So, let me poke you. What was it doing this time?
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
horseman wrote:Well, to make a long story short (and I usually like to make everything a long story) about an hour ago I boxed it up to send back to Lee. If it ain't fixed when it gets back I'm going to send it to Larryw and let it aggravate him.
So, let me poke you. What was it doing this time?
Leaking out of both sides using Silhouette which is a fairly fine powder but not as fine as H110. Thumb wheel is close to impossible to turn after starting to screw into powder thru die. Accuracy issues using Herco powder of +/- 2 to 3 tenths which in fairness is barely better than Unique in metering. A 6.2 grain setting will drop as high as 6.5 and as low as 5.9. Not acceptable when 6.2 is max. Had gone to setting the measure to 6.0 to decrease the overcharge possibility although 6.3-6.4 wasn't dangerous in of itself, it didn't work well for the SD readings nor accuracy. Went to my uniflow and get much better results of +/- .1 or a bit more, a 6.2 setting would net me 6.1 to 6.3 on occasion. That's pretty good with this powder but may give the Pro Disc a shot.

The thumbscrew and leaking are really the main issue though.

Was using the measure on my Load Master press and I was loading each round individually so I could check each round. It did measure the Silhouette powder accurately. I'm currently using the Pro 2000 press and loading using the same method as I'm looking for particular (within reason) performance.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”