Whatcha doing today wandering thread .

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Whatcha doing today wandering thread .

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Took 2 of the lever guns out to play at the state range. 45 Colt Rossi '92 and 44 mag Henry Big Boy Steel. Ran them past the LabRadar was pleased with the 44 hand loads with a extreme spread of 3.5. The commercial stuff was much worse.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I have a flat tire on the front of my tractor. I need to take it off and put it in the back of the truck to get it fixed tomorrow.
I need to cast up about 1,000 lee C309-170F for the 300 blackout cases that I made from 223 brass. I started this project last October, but other things keep getting in the way.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Ohio
That's kind of the idea I think . Lol

Jim
There's no doubt about that . I finally used a lube/sizer for the first time today ....I've been casting about 15 years and owned an old Herters for 3 yr and a slightly newer Lyman 45 for year and a half . I got the Lyman bolted down about a month ago , I've had the custom .273 H&I die for a year or more for the 6.5 Japanese . I suspect it will be much more efficient when doing only .002 over sized than .006 . I should probably stick with the Lee sizers for that first step down .

I guess I'll eventually need to find a loose 7-08 seating die for this one it would appear that on the occasional slightly fat nose that it's seating on the top band at the neck step ...... It chambers fine and all ...... The grooves are .2706 so it's a little oversize even for it's accepted.268 .

I think I'm going to do a less pickled corned styled beef for the smoker tomorrow to be cooked on Wednesday . With improved temperature control in the new smoking grill I've had good results and it keeps the heat out of the house too .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Sad day today. I shook the last of the Unique out of Dad's 12# keg from 1968 . That can has been around my whole life. I loaded 12 ga out of it as a teen . Averaging 1500 rounds per lb comes out to about 15,000 rounds of 38/357 9mm , 40 and 45 Colts. Today's shake out filled the square 1# U press it can to the neck or pretty close and put enough in the Uni Flow to fill the next 250 or so 45 ARs with about 3-4 oz that I'll have to fashion a paper scoop to get the last of it out of the can , it's that old Hercules can with the dished top .

Now I have to figure out how to burn up 10# of Red Dot, in the same type can but a year newer . 20,000 9mm or 38 Special WC . Right ?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is a sad day!
Michael
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

Went to work this morning. We had a Holiday luncheon in the warehouse. They gave me a raise for some reason, but I will take it. Came home and ate dinner. Now the wife and I are watching our 4 month grand daughter so the kids can go see a movie.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Suffering a little jet lag still . I lived my whole life in the Pacific time zone my body took a long time to catch on to the central time zone ....then I worked swing for 2 years and my body reverted to Pacific time I guess . I moved to day last week so the solar waking is good to go but the rest of the systems not so much .

Had a nice day at the bench at the bench yesterday. I loaded some cult classics by the look of availability the last couple of decades.
358 Win got some work up loads of 360-238 XCB plain base . It amused me a little that they look like a miniature 16" AP shell sans the nose cap . 10.5-11 gr Unique , there is a 12 gr max for both 200 and 250 bullets for about 19-2000 fps I shoot the 35-200 RCBS with 44.5 IMR 4350 for 2100 fps MV into an inch as long as it keeps the gas checks .

257 Roberts Rem . Loaded some Herters 25-80s that appear to be a copy of the Lyman 257388 . It's a cute little almost acorn shaped bullet that showed some promise in the other 25 . It maxes out at 12 gr of Unique so loads 10-11 gr . It's a pretty soft 95 Mauser so light by light is the order of the day .

Next up is Dad's 25-06' I had promised him we would get a cast load we could hunt and I feel like I need to keep that promise an let one of the grands maybe even take a game animal with it . The immediate goal has been to find an alloy and a place to start with the correct cast bullet . I choose the NOE 260-120 FP to get to the 1000#@100 yd number because the rifle never shot better than 1.5" with a half dozen different 120s but was always sub 3/4 MOA with 115s and most 117s which suggests that the 120s were just at the ragged edge of the twist which I believe to be 1-12" . The 120 cast is just shorter that the 115 jacketed. Turns out this batch is just a breath away from 125gr , soft desired for expansion. I continued with the ladder climb and Unique and groups that were closing . I also moved to matched brass on the off chance that was inducing the out of group hits .

A more spirited load is in the works for the 275 Rigby (it just sounds classier than 7×57) . An RCBS 7mm-168 at 178 gr over steps of H4831 . I'm moving toward a full power load here in a 60kpsi capable 110 and so far I kind of think it's not going to work out like I had hoped . The rifle as an 06' was seriously touchy about case capacity an when you hit THE load there just wasn't any wiggle room in it . Literally 27 kernels of 4350 was the difference between 5 under a quarter and 1.5" . Tried some different sizing this time . I really want the weight that the 168 offers but if it comes to it I have an NOE 287-154 that shot well right off at starting points . If it gives me too much trouble I have some jacketed stuff .
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

First time at the bench in a while with a Savage 340 project I abandoned in 2016. Thought it was a headspace issue but looks like it was several ammo tolerances that stacked up on me. previously enjoyed .222 REM brass was fired in a generous barrel so they were all stretched 0.003-0.005" ... the Pacific dies from who knows when couldn't bump the shoulders back. Chamber was coked even though it looked clean. Now that I have a new set of Lee dies that actually can move the should back and the barrel is clean, it's time to find the lands and the OAL setting the old girl wants.

Driving to Arlington to play Texas Rangers Golf Club today.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Making raised beds to plant my garden . I will have 630 sq feet when finished.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

farmerjim wrote:Making raised beds to plant my garden . I will have 630 sq feet when finished.
Planted the onions in my yard garden yesterday.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Topic Bucket”