Whatcha doing today wandering thread .

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Whatcha doing today wandering thread .

Post by RBHarter »

Well every sub-5,000 member forum with 20-30 regular posters should have one of these threads . Just a casual took the kids to the zoo , had 12 hr smoked pork loin for dinner , got a new dog kind of thing .

We went to a rendezvous of sorts last weekend . It started out as a BP shoot with originals repops of mostly 1849-1860 model pistols sprinkled with Towers , Fowler's , Hawkens , Pennsylvanias , and a Brown Bess . No costumes just hanging out shooting and sharing , stories and tall tales , with a little rye after dark in the spring and fall .
Now it's basically 10-12 of us , run what ya brung , 4 days of social detox mini vacation with gobs of onsite smoked meats , sunburns and campfires .
This go around was on a 175 acre property co-hosted by the hosts daughter who really should be a member of that forum . 3 yr ago 7.5 pregnant she killed her biggest buck to date , no glory story there just an old 98 in 308 whatever . Last fall same stand she killed a 250# black bear boar with a 58 cal flintlock . She says it was pretty exciting for a few seconds when it didn't go down and started a charge back towards the stand . I guess speed loaders aren't as helpful as you'd like when the Minie' loaded easy but you're having trouble hitting the flash pan ....... The bear folded up at 30 yd so the excitement was for not .

As for the weekend . A smoked ham from the hosts hog trapping on the property on Friday and a butt on Saturday .
I shot more RF than I've shot combined in probably 15 years in 3 days . My granddaughter shot my Dad's Win 67, 67A , and Marlin 917 a lot burning up about 4 boxes of the 10 yr box/bench/truck huh' I didn't know I had any of that accumulated 22 LR . I think the guys , we're all basically grand age , got almost as big a kick out of her blowing up assorted beverage containers filled with water as she did . That little 17 HMR , I get it now . Wholly cats at 100 yd a pop can doesn't stand a chance and that 17 gr bullet is still a grenade .

3 weeks before Rondy my truck puked the motor . 2 weeks later the replacement shredded the transmission ........ I doubt the 00 4.6 with the blown mains transmission is an E40D that will talk to a 302 EFI . Back to the 320k mile Explorer ......

I got my Dad's Dad's M70 06' dressed up a little . It was suffering being 75 yr old and hunted a lot basically anything resembling finish coating on the stock was gone and that high ring 5? mm objective scope had to go the medium hight and 8x40 are better but I think it'll work in low rings which would make the rifle both more useful and a lot more fun to shoot . It weighs about 10# so I think it's going to damp the recoil from the paper patch 172 gr 301618 and the RD 312-165 NOEs nicely , even with a full case of H4831 .

Your turn .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Whatcha doing today wandering thread .

Post by Ranch Dog »

That sounds like a fun time RB!

Well, I went to the NRA's convention in Houston today. A friend of mine and I drove up this morning. Arrived at 9 and left at 2. What a goat rope because of the vile, nasty protesting animals outside. Make no mistake, the civil war has started.

Anyway, no presence of Lee at the convention. CCI guy said the primer situation is going to be tough to get back on track. Hoarders are still buying anything that hits the shelf. They have expanded production as much as possible.

Wanted to look at a couple of CC 1911s. Got home and purchased Rock Island GI Standard C5.

Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the full size Rocky with the skeleton hammer and trigger and Novak-like sights. I pulled the ambidextrous safety and hollow barrel bushing/full length guide rod in exchange for GI parts. It has Colt-like checkered replacement grips. You'll like your smaller one I bet.

Started golfing right before the disease hit. I play 2-5 rounds per week now. Not getting better as quick as I thought.

Oldest graduated salutatorian last spring and is attending TWU tuition free for a degree in computer programming but working to pay on-campus housing herself. She's home for the summer right now.

Second graduated Monday 8th in his class and starts the honors engineering program for a biology degree with a minor in jazz performance from Texas A&M Commerce this fall. He is currently in Austin/New Braufels for his bidding to prove he's the best 4A trombonist in the State.

Number three starts high school in the fall and number four is starting junior high.

I have another year as Sponsor Coordinator for the ISD Band Booster Club. Got my 2022-23 beg letters mailed out so it's time to sit by the POBox and wait. Band Camp in July and school starts in August. Gotta be ready.

Still working a more than full time job as an automotive technician. Because of scheduling arrangements, I have three of the next four Saturdays.

Carry on...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Wandered up to a county fairground 1/2 hour north of me to a little country gun show. Did see 2 Rossi one with most of the exposed metal gold and the other in 357 with the puma head medallion. No appeal and way to much. Prices are still high and primers and new ammo are still scares.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Nuttin' today (Sunday). But yesterday wife and I decided to go to the Azalea Festival Parade in our So. Oregon small town. While dressing, wife noticed it was raining and I checked the weather on my computer; light rain for most of the day. Oh well, I just went out to my shop and installed a fiber optic sight on my new Taurus G3...
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I went to the "man cave" yesterday . Places for everything seems to be the bane (bain?) of my existence . Who's bright idea was it to buy all that brass I didn't have places for in before hand ?

Had to work 6 hours last night for the Tyson foods "sure you can Monday off .....oops the sister plant missed their goal so we're going to have to work Saturday" SOP for holiday weekends . Meh whatever .

I came up with about 80 ways to store the brass and put it back in the 20mm cans didn't do anything with any of it .

Got a half top sirloin roast out last night to thaw and rolled it in assorted prefab self enhanced spices and fired up the used once 3 way Pit Boss we bought last year on mega clearance ......can't buy a smoker or grill hardly for what we paid ......
Got the sirloin roast in there perking along with some cherry chunk wood vs chips . Never done cherry for anything I'm more of an oak and let it roll kind of guy but since I have the good tools I may as well give it a go . This bad boy vents the electric smoker section through the charcoal grill section which can be heated from or vented through the gas grill . Kind of a neat set up . Not big enough for much more than a party of 10-15 unless one has a lot of practice working it I think . I'll put a fire in the charcoal grill section after while for some shrimp and veggie kabobs .

Yeah I look at the ammo prices and think to myself " man I almost feel guilty about laying in 10 yr of primers in excess of my annual use ..... Nope I really don't." I like shooting deer slayer suitable 45-70 loads for $14/100 . Maybe $16 for Bison wreckers . If I need a Varmint trasher , 222 is about the same with actual rifle powder . Cast sure cuts in to how much reloading costs .
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My son was in hell (I mean Austin) so edited the post.

I'd like to write some of what happened but I am tuckered out on poor decisions by adults.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have 2 wild pig loins and a front shoulder on the smoker to be ready for lunch. This pig has a good 1/4 inch of fat on it. My next door neighbor shot it on his property.
I have not had any wild pigs around me till recently. I guess I am going to have to start hunting them.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I may never cook another roast any other way .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fresch
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fresch »

Fixing my mower deck (new to me) after it threw the secondary belt. Looks like the guy I bought it from put things together wrong.
Then I get to build a, Little Green Monster FEL for the X500 JD .

Return to “Topic Bucket”