New Guy with a Question

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
jlhog
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New Guy with a Question

Post by jlhog »

I am new to reloading. I have loaded about 175 rounds of 45 acp so far. I have shot all except 40 rounds that I just loaded. They all went bang ok, but here is my question.
Several rounds after using the seating die the bullet will push into the case when using my calipers making them to short to use. I clean, resize, trim, expand all my cases. Earlier I thought I may have missed resizing (CRS) some but looking for other things to check. I have tried adding more crimp in the seating die and also just started using the factory crimp die on my last batch. Still had the same issue. I am using previously used brass and Xtreme .451 round nose bullets. All Lee dies and press. Now the questions.
Thank you in advanced...

What is causing the bullet to fall into the case easily after seating?

Can I pull the bullets and make these work somehow?
jlhog

Re: New Guy with a Question

Post by jlhog »

OK, I did some measuring and maybe I missed resizing some cases. I pulled the bullets from the cases tonight. Tomorrow I will try taking the pin out of the resizing die and run the cases thru the sizing die again. God, I have a lot to learn, err remember
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

jlhog wrote:OK, I did some measuring and maybe I missed resizing some cases. I pulled the bullets from the cases tonight. Tomorrow I will try taking the pin out of the resizing die and run the cases thru the sizing die again. God, I have a lot to learn, err remember
A "Wac-A-Mole" bullet puller will get them out, then as you noted take the decapping rod out of the die and resize. Since you have the FCD you should consider adjusting the seating die so it wont crimp and the crimp in a separate. Are these cases all the same headstamp? Some brands are enough thinner to affect bullet grip.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

My guess is you are using a single stage press or at least are processing your brass one step at a time. You just need a "process" and do things the same each time. Use a load block. Size and deprime all the brass you're going to load then "bell" the cases and place them in the block head stamp down. When you then prime them place them in the block primer up. Then as you charge the cases replace them primer down (obviously) then you know it's time to seat the bullets and crimp. Or any sequence you prefer that will let you know at what stage the brass is in. I know a lot of hand loaders charge cases with a powder measure while the cases are still in the block and just go from case to case. I never do/did that, to easy to miss one. But if the primer is up and you do each case individually you won't miss any. Just my method when loading in this manner, there are other ways. But a repeatable system is beneficial.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Welcome to the wondeful, oft frustrating and confusing world of reloading. I too would pull the bullets/powder and remove decapping stem and resize the brass, making sure the die is adjusted as per factory instructions. Perhaps check headstamp to see if all the loose bullets happen with one case mfg. Loose bullets is often caused by excess crimp and an FCD will sometimes swage bullets and case "spring back" will cause loose bullets. Difficult to be much more help not being able to watch your methods, but rest assured Lee dies will produce excellent handloads, if you do your part, BTDT with 45 ACP Lee dies and plain taper crimp die (aka "deflaring die")...

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I did pull the bullets and resized the cases. They loaded perfect this time. I just need to slow down a bit and enjoy it. They are all the same headstamps also. This was 100% operator error. I know I have a lot to learn and thanks for all the suggestions.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

We have all been there in one way or another. The advice above is solid and a good book on reloading will add to your enjoyment and safety. As you gain experience you will see the wisdom of a consistent process that avoids common and sometimes dangerous mistakes. I fully support the use of loading blocks and going directly from powder fill to bullet seating. A good light on the bench that will let you see into cases is invaluable. If you have any other problems just ask and you will get the answers you need.
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

I've been working on that issue myself. I am doing my best to using the same pressure/Stroke when pulling down the handle especially when seating. Keep your handle pull consistent. My 2 cents. (Hey did they take the cents symbol off Keyboards?? I had it on my Sears Typewriter:)-
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

sonic306090 wrote:(Hey did they take the cents symbol off Keyboards?? I had it on my Sears Typewriter:)-
It's a special character! The "Character Map" on a PC will have it. Open it, select the symbol, copy it, and paste here... ¢

On phones or devices, the code is within the popup keyboards behind the # symbol, usually on the second page.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

¢ ...... alt/0162

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Topic Bucket”