operational changes

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

operational changes

Post by horseman »

I've been thinking about this "change" for awhile and finally decided now was the time. Yesterday I picked up a pickup bed full of totes, the big plastic locking handle types, and started packing up my reloading "stuff". I got all the presses off the bench plates and packed up. Well except one a Ponsness Warren 375 shot shell press, need to find a box for that one. Scales, dies, and misc. items like concentricity gauges and such are packed. Today I'll do powder and case prep machines, wet and dry tumblers, well you get the picture. Hopefully will be done in a week. Then tear out the benches and cabinetry, fix the walls where needed and repaint. It will be a bedroom again. Lot of stuff to move but not as near as much as before, I sold quite a few things off the last couple months. Not going to get rid of the rest, at least not now but am taking a break from a hobby I've been doing since 1971. With the way things are at this point in time the uncertainty of consumables and attitudes of some vendors has taken it's toll on my enjoyment of the pastime. Now, if I were to happen to run into some consumables at reasonable prices in my travels I'd not be adverse to picking up a bit just to store away but for now I through. A little tid-bit from my local "dealer", I was in the store a couple days ago just to visit with the owner (friend) and I remarked about his availability of primers and he told be just a couple weeks ago he got in 50,000 mixed primers. I asked him where they were and he said all sold. I was a bit surprised at this because I live in a community of 2000 souls over a pretty wide area and said as much, his response was ONE person purchased most of them. There's more to this but that's about all that was needed to understand the situation for me. I'll still hang around and bug you guys a bit to keep in the reloading loop, but I'm done with the hobby for now. Thanks to you all.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: operational changes

Post by horseman »

I've discovered I'm going to need more totes, a lot more totes.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I sure get where you are coming from.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Yup, I get it also. Been feeling pretty much the same way..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Same.

I don't have as much stuff and my set up is in the garage but it's just sitting there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't shoot in volume and don't reload in volume .... but I still go to the amusement park at least once a week. Generally shoot only 20-30 rounds a trip, sometimes 50-60 if I take the "bottom feeders", so I clean, process and reload a small batch a couple of times a month.

If I had started my reloading hobby/habit a few years before the obamanation disaster there's no telling how much "stuff" I would have acquired. It's unfortunate that we've had to endure this mess, but fortunate for me that I really got hooked during the nasty circumstances and immediately learned to keep it simple and work around it.

I can't claim to have had a military experience, but I learned one of my favorite lessons a long time ago from the saying "Adapt, Improvise and Overcome".

Keep plugging.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I appreciate the understanding attitude from you all. I probably should add that I'm also not a "prolific" shooter and have more loaded rounds stored than I will probably shoot up in the next 5 years. I reloaded mostly because I enjoyed the process. As most of you do I'm sure. So walking away isn't as difficult as if I didn't have the stores I have. Maybe someday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I get it .

It almost makes me feel bad about being almost as .........I forgot about Dads stuff added in so better stocked than your local guy peaked out at . Compounded by not shooting at all it seems like .
Time , weather , work schedules , life getting in the way ....... All the tools , all the parts , no time or the where with all to use it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Yep. I get disgusted by the self centered, selfish, "Me First" morons that gobble up components and ammo with the "I gotta get mine before someone else gets it" attitude.

FWIW, I grew up in earthquake country and it was common to stay prepared and that attitude carried over to my reloading. Whenever I'd go shopping for my gun stuff I often got a little extra. Yesterday I was digging around a seldom used cabinet and found 4,000 primers, One brick each of SP, SR, LP, and LR other than my regular stash of mebbe 8-10 bricks of assorted sizes and types. I haven't run short in any of the last panic shortages, not because I'm a market analyst, but because I just got a little extra "Just in Case", and I won't be one of those guys that insist on getting "mine" or cleaning the shelves of everything I can buy...
larryw

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote:Yep. I get disgusted by the self centered, selfish, "Me First" morons that gobble up components and ammo with the "I gotta get mine before someone else gets it" attitude.
Ain't that the truth !! Last shortage, I actually found myself in an altercation at Cabelas. I was standing across the isle just watching the crazy stuff unfold, actual pushing, shoving, cussing, trash talking.
LEO's were there, uniformed & not. like I said, I was by the targets & spotting scopes when this clown if coming from my left yelled, the classic "what the Fu@© are you looking at?? "No cop close enough (at that second) so when he got within reach, he went to sleep, & I guarantee it hurt!! Cop just shock his head. EMT for him, cuffs for him. Lesson for me. Go idiot watching elsewhere, not at Cabelas during shortages?? :roll:
I haven't run short in any of the last panic shortages, not because I'm a market analyst, but because I just got a little extra "Just in Case", and I won't be one of those guys that insist on getting "mine" or cleaning the shelves of everything I can buy...
Same with me. Have a bunch loaded, no shooting for me, fire restrictions. Load a few now and f& then just for something to do, stuffing some 12ga now & then just to get familiar/at ease with that Established, proofed loads only, no testing. Was telling horseman the other day.
That this is the first time I ever had test loaded up for long periods????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”