Historical Question

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Historical Question

Post by Green Frog »

What I am trying to do is track down some historical information. Obviously the original Lee Custom Reloader Company produced Lee Loaders. This was Richard Lee's baby, right? I'm curious as to how much of his intellectual property was left behind with Lee Custom (which became Mequon) when he went off and rebuilt his reloading tool operation as Lee Precision. LC/Mequon produced the "Zero Error" version of the Lee Loader, a sort of deluxe version. It contained the pot metal bodied priming tool with screw-in shell holders, an item also available for separate purchase as well. Meanwhile the later standard LC/Mequon Lee Loaders got a slightly cheapened red plastic version of the same tool. Did Richard Lee develop this tool before his departure or was there an R&D department still active there after he left? :?

After Mequon died a commercial death, it wasn't long before Lee Precision introduced its first Auto Prime to fill the same niche. Like the previous tool it used a proprietary shell holder, just not the same one. Was this to get around patent regs that Mequon still owned for the early one? Was Richard Lee involved in any way when the little tool using the screw-in shell holders were developed or did he have to start from scratch with the first Auto Prime? 8-)

On a similar note, there were Lee Custom marked as well as Mequon marked versions of the Pistol Rest that was marketed as a poor mans Ransom Rest. Is there any indication of Richard Lee being involved in the development of this item in any way? Obviously it remained as the intellectual property of LC/Mequon, but did Richard Lee just abandon it, or was he unable to get control of that IP so he could continue making it... or did he just not regard it as a worthwhile item for his new company to make? :?: I have frequently referred to the tool with screw-in shell holders as the "First Generation" Priming Tool. Was it really a predecessor or just the inspiration? :?

Any definitive info (or even reasonable speculation) would be most appreciated. "Inquiring minds..." +corn

TIA ~ Froggie
JustJim
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Historical Question

Post by JustJim »

Just a couple of thoughts. In the past when I've had questions about the evolution of various loading tools, I've found a lot of good info in back issues of Handloader Digest. I'm not sure, but I think they will cover most of the span of the Lee/Mequon/Lee Precision transitions. They usually also have some good details.

Another such resource (one that will go back a bit further in time) would be back issues of Gun Digest. here, you'd be trading HD's focus on the handloading industry and practices for GD's annual updates. The catalogs in the back might be the most useful part of this.

(You might be able to get similar, or more, info from Shooters Bible. I've always preferred GD/HD, and just don't have a "feel" for SB and what they've published over the years.)

In any event, once you can put together a timeline, you can start seeking more detail in back issues of Handloader and American Rifleman.

Good luck, and have fun!

Return to “Topic Bucket”