Kinda slow...

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Kinda slow...

Post by mikld »

Seems pretty slow here on Lee Loader, hoping everyone is alright.

I'm not doing much for a couple reasons; rumors that the local "range" is closed. Seems the big lumber/logging company own the spot and piled dirt in front of the access road because of the trash (?). I've only been shooting there for 11 years and the last 2 or 3 years it has been better than the earlier use, but I haven't ventured up ther yet.

My health is another reason as I had a stroke about a year ago and sometime I get dizzy (nope I ain't lookin' fer sympathy!), so a 10 mile drive up a two lane road and 3 miles up a logging/dirt road gets "exciting" :lol: .
But I have opened up a new shooting hobby. I got a Gamo springer air rifle. I was able to find 22 cal. pellets easily, even though air guns and ammo have been affected by the present situation. I set up a "range" in my shop and can shoot quietly, and satisfy my trigger finger's itch. With my screwed up head I now spend a lot of time in front of my computer and I now have a whole new shooting world to explore. Tons of info and I was surprised by some of the hunting videos (in the US you won't see any hunts, or bloody critters, but some videos of airgun hunting are really graphic. Lots of UK airgunners recording rat hunts, many showing head shots to 30 meters and piles of bloody dead rats...

I guess I'm just rambling as not a whole lot to do and Lee Loader has been pretty slow...
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Kinda slow...

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

You ought see the videos of terriers ratting from across the pond.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, we always slow down a bit on the forum here about this time of year through the end of the summer. It was busy last year because everyone was locked inside.

I'm still chasing stuff with the new home and haven't set up my reloading room yet. I'm betting I won't load around for at least another six months, given what I have lined up from the move.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I finally got the saw mill set up a sawed about 30 board feet of 1" pine as a test run . I have since learned the blade shroud of the 12' long horizontal band saw makes a fine sail and the trolly is quite top heavy ....... New blades arriving Thursday on UPS .
The youngest boy is building a house so the mill will see heavy use for a few weeks . The next couple of months should be quite busy for me .

I have a shoot in the planning for the 3rd weekend in May on Moms place . I have a 25,50, and 100 yd berm in place with 3,4,5,6, and 8" steel in various combinations at 50 and 100 . New plates arrived , 2 ea in 3&4" and a single 6" in 3/8" AR500 from X Steel . New account 10% discount , $14.50 flat rate shipping 1 piece or 500 $48.00 delivered . As a reference an 8" gong from Atwood's , Bass Pro , etc is $38 before taxes and 12-16 ea for the smaller ones . Still have to hang them .

Ms had what amounts to carpal tunnel surgery today but on her elbow . She's been fighting numbness and traction loss in her hands for 4-5 years . This was number 3 and should have been enough , but she has a cyst in the middle of her palm to be fixed as soon as possible after the elbow heals up .

Another co-worker was retired at work so we're back to 3 short again so Im working 2 extra shifts , Ms is working 2 extra shifts , it's really messing with our 2/12s work week and 5day weekends .

It's been dry for almost 2 weeks so the turduckeneese pool was almost dry so it was a good time to shovel it out , what a foul fowl job :) . When I cut it in it was it was 8×10 and tapered it to a foot or a little more deep . During the shovel out I raised the low corner about 6" and cut most of the basin to a foot deep or a little more . Hopefully the extra depth and height will keep a little more water from the rain and save me some running water .

Been working on a 6.5 Japanese if anyone has a spare 243 or 250 Sav quick trim die they would trade for a 6.5 CM die I'd be tickled . I need a neck sizer to get the Japanese dow to about .270-.271 ID the expander ball from a 6.8 or 270 is about perfect but the necks are sized down to about .260 then I have to bring them back up to accommodate the .272 cast .
Full power loads aren't a problem with 4831 being a full volume powder for every bullet weight and 22-2300 fps being a max load for the .270-140 NOE on hand . Jacketed data actually lists a higher charge for the 160 RN than the 140 spritzer . It runs about 42 kpsi .

That about covers everything for the moment .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld

Post by mikld »

Good to hear everybody's alive and busy! I got some good news yesterday. Dr. in Medford (6 1/2 hour round trip), a Neurosurgeon, told me I didn't have a stroke, maybe a seizure. I had been told before I had carotid stenosis and the new Dr. suggested I have a stent placed in my neck, no brain surgery. In the process of scheduling so by summer I should be out shootin' again. I haven't really trusted my self with some of my handloads, I figger my brain might go drop out during a critical step! But I have been casting...

Apologies for rambling off topic (reloading/shooting/casting), I guess I've reached that age where I talk about my surgeries and infirmities and ramble, blather on, but I'll get better. Gettin' old ain't for the faint of heart... +zzz
larryw

Post by larryw »

Howdy Mikld, real good to hear your on the mend & no surgery needed..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great to hear mikld!
Michael
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

its getting on to spring here. very hectic building the green house and winding up the school year (wife is a special ed teacher) also started getting the needed firewood for making the house warm(nearly 20 cords) and spring bear is almost here, as well as steelhead, but first its gotta stop snowing.. we had nearly a foot of snow day before yesterday, and seceral inches on top of that this morning... kinda wish I wouldn't have taken the plow off my truck. now everybody is blaming me for the snow.

Glad it was no stroke MKLD.. get to reloading and be ready when your all fixed up.
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mikld wrote:Good to hear everybody's alive and busy! I got some good news yesterday. Dr. in Medford (6 1/2 hour round trip), a Neurosurgeon, told me I didn't have a stroke, maybe a seizure. I had been told before I had carotid stenosis and the new Dr. suggested I have a stent placed in my neck, no brain surgery. In the process of scheduling so by summer I should be out shootin' again. I haven't really trusted my self with some of my handloads, I figger my brain might go drop out during a critical step! But I have been casting...

Apologies for rambling off topic (reloading/shooting/casting), I guess I've reached that age where I talk about my surgeries and infirmities and ramble, blather on, but I'll get better. Gettin' old ain't for the faint of heart... +zzz

Good news indeed.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”