Reload it all

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Reload it all

Post by horseman »

Been doing some "cogitating", dangerous at times. I have enough (close anyway) primers large and small to load just about all he bullets I have on hand, at least my "social" guns and have plenty already loaded for my hunting rifles and revolvers. Considering just loading what I have and then boxing up my equipment for storage and wait this drought out. Buy some air tight containers to store everything in. Redo the room. UGH! actually don't have that many bullets left, couple thousand in a two or three calibers. Just decide what loads for each and do it. :cry:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Reload it all

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm doing the opposite.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm doing the opposite.

Un-loading bullets and unpacking gear???

Perhaps I should add to my OP, I already have a few thousand 9mm rounds loaded and close to 1000 124gr plated bullets still to load for "shootin" ammo. Around 500 115gr GDHP loaded for SD use with a couple hundred 147gr XTP's to load also. I have 800 45acp loaded, mostly 200gr plated but a couple hundred 185 and 230gr XTP's for SD with the 45. Still have 600 XTP's (300 each) of 185's and 230's still to load. Most of those will be for an SD load but I'll load a couple hundred for 45 Super, and I'm working right now on a box of a thousand 230gr FMJ of which there is still more than half that box left. I have a couple thousand 556 loaded with a box of a thousand 55gr FMJ I haven't opened plus 500 Hornady SP's. I'm not sure if I have 1,000 srp though, close maybe. I have 40, 30round mags loaded. There is also a multitude of cast loads in 45 colt, 357mag and 44 mag loaded and boxed with a couple hundred lbs of ingots IF I wanted to do that....a couple hundred rounds of 06', 7mag, 308 Marlin Express type stuff for hunting rifle. With all that said, I not bragging or "showin' off" just telling you all why I'm thinking this way. I could put up all my equipment right now and never shoot all those up. I'm not getting rid of anything ,well maybe some stuff, depending on what I find that I forgot I had, (If I do this you best get ready for some mail Larry :D )just putting it away for awhile. As you all can see I like reloading more than shooting. But I do shoot a bit now and then. I've also given quite a bit to friends to shoot, with the appropriate warnings of course.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't ever shoot so I am consuming nothing. I do not have pet loads yet for anything other than 9X19 and .357 Magnum. Components are equal to gold right now and I have all the OEM I need to last years for the auto-feeders so I am streamlining my stuff. Yesterday I listed for sale locally 300 rounds of .38 Special I loaded in 2013 and 2014 because I simply have no use for them and the primed cases and lead are worth more to someone else than me likely. When I pulled those out of storage I found 400 rounds of .357 Magnum from the same era I forgot I had. I am off work today too so it's likely I will clean out some more stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Just wondering why? Unless I needed space, bench space or storage space, I can't think of why I would store all my reloading stuff (I'd probably have to rent a storage space/container somewhere). I have done zero shooting since I had my stroke last March, but I have been able to spend time in my shop, among all my reloading toys (I am still ambulatory, can "work" for short periods of time, read and perform menial tasks without getting dizzy or fainting). My shooting spot is 13 miles up the hill, with the last 3 miles on a logging road (wouldn't want to faint on a curve with a 300' steep drop down to the river below!), and hauling all the equipment and setting up would really wear me out (and it's been raining!). But I'm still able to enjoy my hobbies (I got a new NOE mold that I'm trying out and so far it's not a strain as I only case 150 or so bullets at a time.). So, my reloading stuff still gives me joy even though I haven't fired more than two shots in several months...
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm doing the opposite.
What's your plan? What's the best plan?
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mikld wrote:Just wondering why? Unless I needed space, bench space or storage space, I can't think of why I would store all my reloading stuff (I'd probably have to rent a storage space/container somewhere). I have done zero shooting since I had my stroke last March, but I have been able to spend time in my shop, among all my reloading toys (I am still ambulatory, can "work" for short periods of time, read and perform menial tasks without getting dizzy or fainting). My shooting spot is 13 miles up the hill, with the last 3 miles on a logging road (wouldn't want to faint on a curve with a 300' steep drop down to the river below!), and hauling all the equipment and setting up would really wear me out (and it's been raining!). But I'm still able to enjoy my hobbies (I got a new NOE mold that I'm trying out and so far it's not a strain as I only case 150 or so bullets at a time.). So, my reloading stuff still gives me joy even though I haven't fired more than two shots in several months...

mikld I'm really sorry to hear of your issues. Wish I lived closer, I'd swing by and pick you up and we'd find something to go shoot. Logging roads are my favorite places to go "explore" stuff on. Similarly I'm kinda the same as you with the hobby. I'm not shooting much, normally don't, but I do spend time in my reloading room just messin' with things. Load a few here and there, change presses out, whatever. That "loading a few now and then" is why I have as much loaded ammo that I have. Just loaded 150 rounds of 45 acp yesterday just "investigating" OAL setups. Boxed them up and put in the cabinet. May get around to shooting some of them in a few weeks as we have snow on the ground and I've been plowing and hot cases are hard to find in wet snow. But even when I do go outside to shoot it's rarely more than a couple mags worth. And that's usually something new I'm checking on. I get bored pretty quick shooting by myself. We'll see. :geek:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mikid, I'm sorry to hear about your health.

I'm definitely in the group that shoots so that I can reload. I'm not sure what my plan is at this point with the move. All I know is that the volume of ammo shot will be way down, even considering the decrease I've been experiencing the last several years.

I've started selling firearms, primers, and powder through my FLL. I'm not a hoarder but never knew exactly what my need would be in the future, so I always bought years ahead to fill the present consumption rate. I never purchased in lean times, only when there was ample stock and often on sale.

This extends to casting as well. I have two storage boxes with lead that I have to move. They are both 1500 to 1700 lbs; I have to have a tractor/frontend loader with pallet forks to get them on my trailer. I sold my tractor. NOE has made me an offer on the lead, but I need to get them on the trailer and into town to weigh it on the drive-through grain scale (I have the trailer weight). NOE can figure out the shipping with the weight, but whoever picks it up will need a forklift and liftgate.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've decided that my OP is what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep the C0-AX, Lee Classic Cast and my Ponsness Warren 375C that's set up for 12 and 20 gauge. The other presses are going. Shooting 50-100 rounds a month (which I don't do) is easy to keep up with on a SS press. Going through all the other "stuff" and moving out a lot of "specialty" things. Like neck turners for instance and those redundant sets of dies. I don't even have a 45-70 anymore, haven't for several years, but I still have the dies. Things like that. Tear out the three benches and figure a more simple setup. Back to where I started just with "better" equipment. Now I just need to find some boxes.
mikld

Post by mikld »

N/A...
Last edited by mikld on 17 Feb 2021 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Topic Bucket”