Just an old guy's thoughts...

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Just an old guy's thoughts...

Post by mikld »

I normally enter the forum and check for new threads/posts and go there, even if the subject doesn't have much to do with my reloading needs, methods or experiences. today I stopped by the APP sub-forum because there was a new post, but before I could open it I thought "nutting there for me 'cause I don't need anything faster/easier for my reloading". I then realized I have actually been doing things in my reloading that actually take more time! I reloaded some 45 ACP JIC rounds with a Lee Loader last week!. A few weeks ago I reloaded about 80-90, 9mm rounds and weighed each powder charge. During an experiment I cleaned the primer pockets on 100, 45 ACP cases and I even tumbled some 9mm brass to a high shine! I primed some cases on my Co-Ax, slower and a bit more involved because each primer is loaded into the press one at a time, and old fat fingers make that slower. The "extra" time and the fewer RPM (rounds per minute) don't bother me at all. I guess I just like reloading and all the "time savers" just get me away from my bench too soon.

Any others "shun" saving time for reloading, or am I just nearing the "crazy old man" syndrome? Perhaps I reload for fun as much as I reload for handgun fodder...
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Just an old guy's thoughts...

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote: Perhaps I reload for fun as much as I reload for handgun fodder...
+1 Yup !!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't consider my reloading time to be slow, especially since advancing from the Lee Classic Loaders to the Lee Hand Press (massive "speed" :lol: ) .... still happily using that same hand press 9 years later. Best guess for the hand press is around 10k rounds, but considering the cost of components it fits my now current budget/needs.

I no longer shoot in volume or have need to reload in volume, but I do both often :)

So, I guess you could say I'm slow too. But I still get there plenty fast ;)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am likely one of the younger members here and I don't shoot enough at all to warrant the time I spend on this stuff or the time I spend teaching myself or learning from others but...

I figure it's best to learn it now so I can be an expert later. Kinda why I keep buying stuff to use later in the event I cannot get those things then. Paradox? Maybe.

My topic was about how I likely should not have bought the extra parts for my APP since they offered no real advantage but it was also about how I conquered the issue I posted about so it's a win/win.

To be honest, I actually and likely get the new time saving widgets to see if they work for me and test every step of any process I previously developed. Some are winners, some are losers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
jwfilips

Post by jwfilips »

I pretty OCD when reloading anything: Charges are weighed to .01 gr and Bullets are weighed to .03 grain Pistol or Rifle......many time with rifle shooting cases are weighed to .04"
I only shoot target...and when I do I make sure my loads are as good as I can load! Otherwise why bother
I usually pick up all my targets and Log them: mark the date and specifics on them so I can alway refer back
" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - G. Washington,
56th Rule
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

I guess I'm slow to respond to this too. Slow is good.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

There's a tale of 2 Savage 110s one was simply a 308 garbage disposal with little change in POI or group and a cumulative 12" 100 yd circle about POA with 20 loads of factory , bullet and powder changes . Then there's the 110LH 06' that demands entry level match grade prep and case matching because a volume change the size of 1 pellet of #6 shot is a 12" POI shift and .3 of a gr of IMR 4350 is the difference between 5 shots in 2 min or 10 over an hour covered with a nickle and 5 shots in 15 min that barely cover sometimes with an liberty dollar .

As a result I'm pretty intense on rifle loads that might matter .
Casting probably made it more so .
I do check every round and the ram prime isn't a particular hinderince .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
sonic306090

Post by sonic306090 »

You're doing it right old man, I take my time loading each cartridge. I double-check everything and make sure it's the best it can be. I loaded 100 9mm last night for about 1 1/2 hours. Time flew by, I enjoyed every minute of it. Reloading is fun! Take your time and enjoy!
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
killian6pk
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by killian6pk »

mikld wrote:I normally enter the forum and check for new threads/posts and go there, even if the subject doesn't have much to do with my reloading needs, methods or experiences. today I stopped by the APP sub-forum because there was a new post, but before I could open it I thought "nutting there for me 'cause I don't need anything faster/easier for my reloading". I then realized I have actually been doing things in my reloading that actually take more time! I reloaded some 45 ACP JIC rounds with a Lee Loader last week!. A few weeks ago I reloaded about 80-90, 9mm rounds and weighed each powder charge. During an experiment I cleaned the primer pockets on 100, 45 ACP cases and I even tumbled some 9mm brass to a high shine! I primed some cases on my Co-Ax, slower and a bit more involved because each primer is loaded into the press one at a time, and old fat fingers make that slower. The "extra" time and the fewer RPM (rounds per minute) don't bother me at all. I guess I just like reloading and all the "time savers" just get me away from my bench too soon.

Any others "shun" saving time for reloading, or am I just nearing the "crazy old man" syndrome? Perhaps I reload for fun as much as I reload for handgun fodder...
I saw this somewhere the other day I think it describes any of us to a T. Growing old is mandatory, growing up is totally optional!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

With rifles, save one exception, I enjoy the steady pace of my turret. My load development is long past for the fifty or so firearms I own; that is one thing that I worked through over the last 16 years of living out here on the ranch with the range outback. I'm not interested in changing a single component in that I have enough of those components on the shelf to shoot through my mid-eighties without the need to purchase anything.

I also enjoy reloading all my pistols along with my single revolver on the Load-Masters. No changes here either, just the production of ammo for my defensive arms and meeting my training needs. My 7.62x39 feeds the needs of my Mini-30, no emotion with that reloading either, just production.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”