wow, no reloading components

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: wow, no reloading components

Post by larryw »

Morning AG, it was a real odd experience for me?? Just a youngster, full of himself
with a piece strapped on? The few few times I've been there, everyone treated us like royalty .
The proficiency with the firearms they had was
Remarkable.. But.. The last several times,, it was in shambles????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I used to shoot IPSC winter indoor matches. Real hoot what with curtains and posts. The range did have a rule about brass that applied when they were open to the public. I know the owner quite wel and he said it was to keep the range active, to stop people from loitering waiting for shooters to leave, and to stop people from trying to retrieve brass forward of the firing line. They reload themselves and much of the brass comes from the people that use the range's guns. I used the range in the quiet hours for load development. No problem keeping my cases. At my local club outdoor range it isn't an issue as it goes inactive regularly for putting up targets. I often get offered brass by shooters who figure I hand load when they see my chrony.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I've never been to a range with a strict prohibition on brass recovery I have been to a couple that it was impractical unless you could shoot couples or something with one checking targets and one picking up .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
AlaskanGuy
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

i guess we all have choices ...
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The only range I've used was a leave it range. I brought an AR just built and brought steel case ammo on purpose.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Prices on Gun Broker are totally out of control.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

I can't help but wonder if shortages are just smart marketing. Seems every four years the panic sets in and prices go up. The new prices stay even though one would assume with all that hoarding demand would drop off. Make hoarding difficult by reducing supply and you smooth out the spikes but still create ideal conditions for increased prices. This maintains revenue streams. It also encouragre inventory purchases and perhaps consumption. Sounds like a plan to me but maybe I am just suffering from boredom.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

A lot going on as far as ammo and components. New gun sales, background checks for 2020 have already exceeded (by far) every prior year since the FBI started keeping track in 1998, so guns sales are breaking records. People buy guns, people need ammunition.
Imports for loaded ammunition have dropped 34% in the three months ending Aug 31st compared to 2019. These imports comprise about 46% total of the ammunition available here in the states and it's due to COVID 19 disruption. That means ammo is drying up (I know, big duh), producers fear "ramping up" more production as to the cost of adding new equipment (buildings, machines, employees, etc;) because they figure once the "pandemic" is over and things get back to "normal" (whatever that may be) demand will drop. That happened somewhat after the 2016 election.
Components have been "diverted" to the manufacture of "off the shelf" loaded ammunition due to demand and obviously more profit vs components. Plus if ammo makers can't get the parts needed to produce loaded ammo due to COVID 19 European restrictions then the production (most powders come from outside the U.S.) then that is another hindrance. So what we have is a "perfect storm", a lot of new gun owners, lack of ammunition due to import reductions due to the pandemic, lack of components, they're being diverted to produce loaded ammo. So it's not about "hoarding" per se, although I'm sure that's going on, or was, (nothing to "hoard" right now) we're just in a tight spot right now and that goes for pretty much everything, everywhere...... We're having another toilet paper and bottled water panic going on here (Oregon, Washington) right now. Unbelievable.
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

not good news
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Tonerboy1

Post by Tonerboy1 »

we've all been through this same issue before. During the Clinton 'Gun Ban" years, the Obama "School Shooting" years and now the Biden "We WILL take your AR years". Lets just hope for 4 years max, not an 8 year sentence. I'm old enough that if it goes 8 years I may never see good supplies of ammo and components again in my lifetime.

Return to “Topic Bucket”