Building a gun closet

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Building a gun closet

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Going on vacation in a few weeks and while I have two projects on my agenda I've been wanting to tackle a more organized and useful gun closet in my office. The closet there is fairly small. . Right now it is holding on the Shelf my gun cleaning supplies and miscellaneous firearm stuff and on the floor and ammo boxes holding about five thousand rounds of ammunition various calibers

I'm wanting to design something that will hold about 8 long guns vertically, and storage for 10 plus handguns as well as all the ammunition.

Has anyone built anything like this before?
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Building a gun closet

Post by RBHarter »

I haven't but I would think an 18" wide and deep conventional gun cabinet arrangement for the long guns with a drawer under it and to it's right 3-4 shelves 10" between them 14" deep and desired width . They must be supported about every 18" ACP class in 30 cal cans full weigh about 30-32# each and 5 will go on a 24" wide shelf 2 padded drawers at 14×24×4/6" deep should accommodate about 6 each depending on grips barrel length and lying down or standing up (butt and muzzle down) and leave a slot or 2 for magazines etc (check local listings that may not be ok . Both drawers should be about counter top hight for the average person . In my visualization this gives you room for about 24" of additional 14" deep shelves, 1-3 and of course the top at about 6' . Past earthquake/fire requirements would inspire me to hold hight to 71" . Adjust shelf hight as needed for thickness and base . For the base I would have the verticals on a solid base or with at least 1 full width facers under the bottom shelf . 4-500# of ammo resting on a 1× whatever is a lot of pressure on a small area of floor and may cause a depression if it's not over or immediately next to a floor joist .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Building a gun closet

Post by GasGuzzler »

See the build project here --->GUN AND AMMO STORAGE CLOSET BUILD
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Topic Bucket”