Accurate Powders/Hodgdon

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Accurate Powders/Hodgdon

Post by mr surveyor »

I just read a blurb on another site that Hodgdon bought the Accurate Powder line. Over my short 10 year re-loading stint, I've become a devoted fan of the "AA" handgun powders ... AA#2 or AA#5 in .45 auto and .38 spl, AA#5 or AA#7 in 9mm, AA#7 or AA#9 in .357 mag and .44 mag, AA#7 in 30-30 (cast). I don't load a lot or shoot a lot on each outing, but I do shoot at least once a week, and it almost always involves something loaded with one of the AA powders. So, if Hodgdon bought the AA line will they keep the line intact, and will the keep the same formulation?

I did start with Alliant - Unique and A-2400, but in my beginning years the Alliant powders were near unobtabium and I did find the Accurate Arms powders on the shelf and became really attached to them.

My LGS still had a good stock of the AA powders on the shelf the last time I was in a couple of weeks ago. May need to go get a bank loan and buy what's left.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Accurate Powders/Hodgdon

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Based on past experience when they acquired IMR and Winchester they'll keep the line intact as long as there is demand. They did drop the SR powders as I recall. Not sure about the Winchester line, but there they kept what I use so if something went away I only knew about it from a mention on line.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I finally did (just a few minutes ago) check the Hodgdon web-site for clarity on the matter. Yep, they did take the Accurate powders on Oct. 1, but seemed to indicate they would keep the formulation the same.

Personally, I do not like the idea of mega-corp organizations controlling (monopolizing) massive shares of any industry. The idea of "too big to fail" is a fairy tale (my opinion).

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Kaiser »

Accurate powders in the last year or so has had to recall several of their powders made overseas (I had a couple of pounds on hand that they replaced). I have to wonder if the cost of recalls and last plant relocation effected their sale? I too really liked their pistol and rifle powders, especially AA5, AA4064, and AA2520. I hope Hodgdon continues to offer the Accurate line with the same labeling and price point!

I, too, hate to see smaller companies "gobbled up" by larger corporations! It may "stream line" administrative and marketing costs, but it seldom restrains it corporate "masters" from restricting competition and innovation. The fact that Hodgdon is a great company notwithstanding; for a company that controls the major portion of the industry is only a generation away from disaster. Marlin, Remington, and Winchester are examples of once great companies bought and sold in the "market place" where the U.S. of A's 2nd Amendment rights are not as big of an issue as "global" sales and monetary gains on the stock market. Bigger is not always better IMO.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Hodgdon buys powder brands but not production facilities so unless they change supplier or modify a formulation I expect little change to the powders. For example most IMR powders are made by General Dynamics at various locations. ADI in Australia make powders for Hodgdon e.g. Varget. I echo the concern that a monopoly anywhere in the supply change including distribution isn't usually a good thing for the consumer.

Return to “Topic Bucket”