Selling

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Selling

Post by klr »

I'm getting to the age where I can see that "some day" may never come for all of the "some day" rifles and projects I've collected. With the current political climate and coming election it looks like a good time to sell.

So, what's the best way to sell rifles?

Gunbroker? Seems like the way to get the max price, but not sure about the hassle of dealing with an auction and shipping.

Online private sale? Shipping is a pita. I did that once and the usps "lost" my rifle for a couple of weeks.

Armslist? I did that once and it worked out ok, but I wasn't too comfortable about meeting a stranger. Also don't want to risk selling to someone who shouldn't have a gun.

Local dealer? Convenient, but not sure I'd get a fair price.

Any ideas?
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Selling

Post by mikld »

I'm starting to think the same. But I have dealt with a small gun shop since I moved here 10 Years ago and think I'll give them my business; either sell/give some guns to them or sell on consignment...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

For the last dozen or better years, I have used my FFL. He makes consignment sales, but the effort being through GunBroker. He handles everything. I do provide the pictures and text; I know more about what I am selling, and it has worked quite well. The FFL to FFL sale gives me the warm fuzzy, all the guns I've moved had sold for much more than I could have sold them for locally.

It's worked so well that in the event of my death, he will get everything in my gun/reloading room and sell it for my wife. I've done the same with my airplane. I already have a guy who will sell it, so my wife does not have to think about it. The funny thing about the above is that the two guys are brothers; my FFL and my aircraft mechanic
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

That sounds like a perfect situation. Does he work on a percentage or a flat fee? I need to look around and see if I can find a ffl like that.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:That sounds like a perfect situation. Does he work on a percentage or a flat fee? I need to look around and see if I can find a ffl like that.
He charges 10% of the sale. With that, he covers the GB fees, all buyer contact, and the shipping stuff (buyer pays a fixed shipping charge).

Before this, I had started selling on GB, I learned that there is always someone willing to pay more for the firearm than anybody locally would. Packaging and shipping is a huge problem for me. I always needed a shipping box (not the gun box) and would have to take the firearm to the UPS Customer Center. That in itself is a hassle as it is a two-hour round trip and they are only open for two three-hour periods over the weekdays.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It also ends ATF questions. Through this, a handgun was used in a domestic violence event (brandishing a weapon), but it starts the firearms custody chain. Two straight FFL transfers ends the legality questions of the sale. Yes, they woke the FFLs up at 2:30 am and wanted picturers of the transfers. My FLL said the agents were very polite and thankful for the clean custody chain. I never heard boo.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I also just gave my daughter in law my wife's pistol. My wife can no longer manipulate the functions of the gun because of arthritis, can't even pull the trigger. My DIL is in FL, but I used an FFL to FFL transfer. $25 on each end is cheap insurance if anything ever goes wrong. FFL, on the other end, is even going to provide training through their range class at no expense.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I went to the gun shop this morning. It was busy and the shelves were full. I asked the owner if he would be interested in selling my Mini 14 and he told me I was two months too late and the pipeline was filling back up.
He had a half a dozen AR15s and the prices were reasonable. This dealer has always been a straight shooter and treated me fair, so I believe him.

When I go back next week to pick up the new rifle I ordered (yea, I know :lol: ) I'll ask him if he has any shipping boxes since it looks like I'm going to sell them myself. :|

Return to “Topic Bucket”